Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this kinda sad

Well i had it with diesel prices and I really have no use for a diesel truck
so i traded for 2008 Hyundai Accent.
Im going to miss my dodge but well i could afford the truck payment and diesel fuel.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=10
Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

too bad u werent closer i am looking for a cummins
Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tranny start to slip?
I converted an older ford diesel (same motor you had in your old one) to WVO which is close to free fuel. Conversion cost less than $1500 if you do the work yourself. If you had a tranny on the way out it was smart to get rid of it I guess. I still think you should have kept that ford with the 7.3 idi from way back when.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you getting your WVO ? I have had no luck here I even have friends in the restaurant biz. They are all under contract with a company to haul it off. I now own 3 diesels with the hope of getting something that costs less but so far its 4.70 diesel.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the tranny in the dodge did shift rough buts not the reason i got rid of it diesel fuel prices and I dont have a need for a truck anymore.
I may down the road **5 years** get a older dodge ram with cummins but it will have stick shift
Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you complaining about I only could wish diesel was 4.70 a gallon. I'am currently paying 5.40 a gallon with 6 dollars a gallon predicted later this summer.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to see you have to do this, but it is a sign that the free market is beginning to correct itself. The more that folks like yourself give up your gas guzzlers, the less pressure there will be on the supply. Good ole supply and demand leveling correcting itself.

My wife who will not drive anything but an SUV actually suggested the other day that she might get rid of her Avalanche in exchange for "something good on gas". To anyone who knows her, that is a huge indicator of how bad it has gotten. You could not get her to drive a car for nothing a year ago.

Hopefully I can outlast this one - I can't imagine driving something other than my CTD!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree whole hardly that the market is correcting itself. Alot of people are running trucks just to have them and honestly it's hurting those of us who need them. For me as a business owner I can't even think about buying a f series truck for my crews now, too much markup, I picked up a lcf this last go round and a mitfuso the time before that. both for much more reasonable prices. Also I think the guys who are mowing on the side are going to have to start questioning their side jobs. Most of them honestly don't make enough to warrant having the big truck and the bigger mower they think they need. Once you start factoring in the fuel/ materials for all these guys with the relatively small number of yards they mow compared to a dedicated full time company, they'd be making more money getting a part time job at mcdonalds or home depot. Not knocking on the guys by any means, I respect what they do, but you're going to have to look at it, do I need to drive the cummins to work every day and mow yards to pay for the fact I have cummins or do I buy a mini cooper the next go round and not mow on the side, go home a relax and maybe work on my yard. Just some thoughts.

oh and unless you drive a bunch DO NOT BUY a new car just to "save $ on fuel" it doesn't cash flow, run your current ride into the ground then trade for something more economical the next time. Crazy people here trading in new cars, they're spending thousands to save hundreds/
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well everything went though ok. Im done with trucks for a long while
**6 years ** at least it comes with a good warranty
10 years/100,000 miles i figure i have about 79,000 on it at the end of the warranty I drive about 166 miles a week.
but im just a paper boy right now im getting a better job and start putting on more miles
Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like you stand to save around $10,000 over the next 6 years if fuel were to stay at the same price. As long as you weren't going to make any money with the truck you saved $10,000 minus the additional cost of the car (if any) and any loss you took on trading or selling the truck.

$140 per month saved---two or three $40 lawns @ 25 cuts per year for the next six years would make up the difference (if you mow).