Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about starting but The paper route i have now is a guarantee $300-400 a week with stuffing sunday paper on weekends. the other reason was my bee and other allergys for why didnt go into lawncare.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscreek View Post
I agree whole hardly that the market is correcting itself. Alot of people are running trucks just to have them and honestly it's hurting those of us who need them. For me as a business owner I can't even think about buying a f series truck for my crews now, too much markup, I picked up a lcf this last go round and a mitfuso the time before that. both for much more reasonable prices. Also I think the guys who are mowing on the side are going to have to start questioning their side jobs. Most of them honestly don't make enough to warrant having the big truck and the bigger mower they think they need. Once you start factoring in the fuel/ materials for all these guys with the relatively small number of yards they mow compared to a dedicated full time company, they'd be making more money getting a part time job at mcdonalds or home depot. Not knocking on the guys by any means, I respect what they do, but you're going to have to look at it, do I need to drive the cummins to work every day and mow yards to pay for the fact I have cummins or do I buy a mini cooper the next go round and not mow on the side, go home a relax and maybe work on my yard. Just some thoughts.

oh and unless you drive a bunch DO NOT BUY a new car just to "save $ on fuel" it doesn't cash flow, run your current ride into the ground then trade for something more economical the next time. Crazy people here trading in new cars, they're spending thousands to save hundreds/
you r sounding like Barack Obama
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

haha couldn't be further from the truth. Staunch fiscal conservative here. I just know what it cost to run a business, and I honestly am NOT trying to talk guys out of maintenance... I'm not a maintenance company but you need to be grossing more than $50 an hour to warrant doing something.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The increase in fuel prices if you have a tight route is a 2.5% to 5% increase in costs... not really enough to warrant getting out of the business!!!

How about we just drill!! Wacko environmentalist are destroying our country and now we are reaping what they have sowed.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with the new car! Around here, new small cars like that are moving off the lot very quickly and its the trucks sitting still.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks View Post

How about we just drill!! Wacko environmentalist are destroying our country and now we are reaping what they have sowed.
im not too sure if that will help but my opinion now is if you need a 3/4 ton truck or big suv get it but if your just buying as a status or keeping up with the next joe door you need to ask your self do i really need this?
that is the conclusion i came to.
My dad keep on telling me that this is just a repeat of the 70s and im starting to believe him. Delivering newspapers may not make me rich but it will help me survive these not so great times.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My wife drives a 4-door duramax to work and back. We don't have any kids and really don't haul with it that much. This is America... you can buy whatever you want. If I want a gas guzzler, I will get one. I don't need you telling me what I can and cannot drive. The whole 4mpg I could save by buying a smaller vehicle for her is not really bothering me that much.

Btw, it is all about supply and demand... if we could increase the supply the demand will soften.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
My wife drives a 4-door duramax to work and back. We don't have any kids and really don't haul with it that much. This is America... you can buy whatever you want. If I want a gas guzzler, I will get one. I don't need you telling me what I can and cannot drive. The whole 4mpg I could save by buying a smaller vehicle for her is not really bothering me that much.

Btw, it is all about supply and demand... if we could increase the supply the demand will soften.
amen, I agree with you whole heartedly. Except demand will not soften, if we increase supply the price will fall but demand won't go down. Now with the price rising demand may soften. I'm not telling people not to buy suvs and trucks I'm just alluding to the fact that it will become less affordable. Oh btw my VW jetta gets about 35 mpg more than your duramax My kodiak probably get s about 4 less though.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscreek View Post
amen, I agree with you whole heartedly. Except demand will not soften, if we increase supply the price will fall but demand won't go down. Now with the price rising demand may soften. I'm not telling people not to buy suvs and trucks I'm just alluding to the fact that it will become less affordable. Oh btw my VW jetta gets about 35 mpg more than your duramax My kodiak probably get s about 4 less though.
It is kind of funny... we are not allowed to drill off the coast of florida but cuba is drilling 90 miles away! My duramax actually does pretty good on fuel mileage... get 16mpg consistently around town... I thought about getting a ford ranger for her to drive... but w/ only 4mpg improvement and no capacity to actually do anything... I think I will keep the duramax.

It is funny nobody mentions the .50 tax on a gallon of fuel vs. the .08 per gallon the oil company makes. It seems we should be subpoena Congress instead of the oil execs!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It is kind of funny... we are not allowed to drill off the coast of florida but cuba is drilling 90 miles away! My duramax actually does pretty good on fuel mileage... get 16mpg consistently around town... I thought about getting a ford ranger for her to drive... but w/ only 4mpg improvement and no capacity to actually do anything... I think I will keep the duramax.

It is funny nobody mentions the .50 tax on a gallon of fuel vs. the .08 per gallon the oil company makes. It seems we should be subpoena Congress instead of the oil execs!
first off in order to get big improvement mpgs you will have to get off the truck thing. If you want to see some better Mpgs get a ford escape or some other some compact suv.Trucks were ment for work IMO.It took me six years to realize this and sollow my pride and go to a car. I use to when i was 18 I would never buy anything but a V8 but once i started looking at the gas pump each time i fill up i found that it wasn't WORTH IT!
I do agree this is America do what you want.
if you NEED a truck thats great but if you have it just as a status symbol well thats your own problem. but if you live in a area where its gravel roads or doesnt get plowed often when it snows then go with a big truck
My street wasnt plowed often when it snowed but that was because there was to many vehicles around to plow.
i went with small car for a number reasons. one i can get in my garage with my old firebird which someday i will get going again. Two better Mpgs In my dodge ram with the cummins diesel i got around 13 and my ford explore got 11mpgs and then the dodge intrepid got 14mpgs because all my driving is in town. the hyundai accent ive gets about 25Mpgs in town and will probley get better after i break it in. its only got 137 miles on it. when i got it had 29 miles on it.
But do want you want.