Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mower&more1986 View Post
first off in order to get big improvement mpgs you will have to get off the truck thing. If you want to see some better Mpgs get a ford escape or some other some compact suv.Trucks were ment for work IMO.It took me six years to realize this and sollow my pride and go to a car. I use to when i was 18 I would never buy anything but a V8 but once i started looking at the gas pump each time i fill up i found that it wasn't WORTH IT!
I do agree this is America do what you want.
if you NEED a truck thats great but if you have it just as a status symbol well thats your own problem. but if you live in a area where its gravel roads or doesnt get plowed often when it snows then go with a big truck
My street wasnt plowed often when it snowed but that was because there was to many vehicles around to plow.
i went with small car for a number reasons. one i can get in my garage with my old firebird which someday i will get going again. Two better Mpgs In my dodge ram with the cummins diesel i got around 13 and my ford explore got 11mpgs and then the dodge intrepid got 14mpgs because all my driving is in town. the hyundai accent ive gets about 25Mpgs in town and will probley get better after i break it in. its only got 137 miles on it. when i got it had 29 miles on it.
But do want you want.
Ever see the episode of south park where they all bought hybrid cars? The smog was replaced by the more dangerous "smug". This is a forum for landscape professionals---trucks are good here.

The cummins should have achieved at least 16mpg around town and 20 highway---it wasn't running right.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will never own a car or SUV... sorry. They are useless to me. My wife wants an SUV, but she had to settle for a 4-door duramax. At least I can haul my skid if I am in a bind. Plus I hate feeling like my butt is on the pavement.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just flat out could not be were i am today without switching to diesel. I agree their are folks that do not require a diesel truck, the popularity of diesel power has created the problem. It will correct itself IMO if your not working your diesel truck, and budgeting correctly you will go under. Invest in quality equipment, lower your labor costs. We just signed two new commercial property maintenance contracts 25,000 a years, and a $5,000 clean-up job. Diesel fuel is not so expensive now for us.

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 05-31-2008 at 01:00 AM.