Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2008, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Opinions needed on F-250

Ok, so right now i drive an old azz Chevy 1500 for my part time lawn/landscape business. I have been getting more landscape work and am finding i need a bigger trailer....well with that comes a need for a truck to pull it. The old Chevy works fine but i get about 9 mpg and well, its old. No ac or radio. Only good thing is i paid 500 for it and it still runs and gets me from point a to b. Well i am looking and found this listing locally. Truck looks very nice in the pictures. Going to call today to find out more info and if i can drive it. I dont know much about diesels....yet, so looking for opinions from those who do. See below for the listing.

2001 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab SWB 4x4. 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Has had Banks Turbo system installed. Auto trans. Leather interior. Factory 6 disc in-dash CD changer. All power. Aluminum wheels. Good all-terrain tires. Truck runs and drives very good. 199,000 miles. NADA retail value is $15600. Will take $8500 Call or e-mail for info

Is there anything i need to look for specifically or should ask about? Like i said, the pictures he posted look very nice. Not sure on the mileage thing, but guessing only being 7/8 years old, there was a bit of highway driving involved. So, let em roll folks, looking for help.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a really good truck, if you want one that new. I've seen 99' Super Duty diesels for $4500, but they don't have a crew cab. I did see one that was a crew cab Powerstroke diesel F350 w. 5-speed manual, and it was $5000. You probably have a very good deal for what you are getting. The 7.3L Powerstroke diesel will last you 500,000 miles if you take care of it well; it's one of the best diesel engines ever made. Change the oil often. I would change it every 2000 miles. The transmission is also a very good one, just drive gently. I've seen them last 300K or more miles before being rebuilt. In my opinion, the 3/4 ton is better than the 1-ton, because you will get better fuel mileage. If you drive it right, then you can hope for well over 20 mpg; I have heard of people getting 23 mpg with this same truck. I would go for it!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

The truck is way over priced I converted the miles to kilometers that truck has 318,400 kms a truck with that many kms would be classed as worn out here and you would be lucky to get 6500 for it.

Truck sounds like it was a well equiped truck in its day I don't know what the banks turbo is all about who knows what the guy has done to the engine. If its had bigger injectors installed the truck has probably been run hard.

It is up to you keep looking. The best truck to find is one that belonged to a old retired person that used the truck to carry a camper or pull a camp trailer.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The truck is way over priced I converted the miles to kilometers that truck has 318,400 kms a truck with that many kms would be classed as worn out here and you would be lucky to get 6500 for it.

Truck sounds like it was a well equiped truck in its day I don't know what the banks turbo is all about who knows what the guy has done to the engine. If its had bigger injectors installed the truck has probably been run hard.

It is up to you keep looking. The best truck to find is one that belonged to a old retired person that used the truck to carry a camper or pull a camp trailer.
Gotta agree with this guy, it has lived its life. Yes that motor may last till 500k , but the rest of thr truck will not.
200k is about all you can expect to get out of them before it needs new everything.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also keep in mind when gas / deisel is above 3 a gal , you can pretty much throw that NADA book away.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Also keep in mind when gas / deisel is above 3 a gal , you can pretty much throw that NADA book away.
Please explain why. I have not heard of this.
Thanks.
Mark
Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Gotta agree with this guy, it has lived its life. Yes that motor may last till 500k , but the rest of thr truck will not.
200k is about all you can expect to get out of them before it needs new everything.
sot true. i have a 96 250 with 230k and its as good as new, actually runs alot better then when it was new. no rattles til about 85 mph either.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post

so in miles its ok, but if you use kilometers its a bad truck? wth? you obviously dont know squat about 250's...
Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
i love how you people come and bash trucks you know nothing about. the truck itself will last just a long a the motor. dana 50 axles, very good tranny, and well the motor cant be beat. you are getting a good deal on that truck, minus the banks garbage. go to this site and sign up, and make a post or 2.

www.powerstrokenation.com

when you sign up use slowleak as a referal.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I have owned Ford trucks all my life. I have had 150s,250s,350s and 4 F-450s had trucks powered with I-6,351,460,7.3 IDI,7.3 PSD and 6.0 PSD. I also operate a small trucking company and I'am a commercial driver. Yep I don't know anything.

A F-250 is a light duty truck they are only good for 1500lbs payload.