Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

best broadleaf control???

hi guys, i'm learning the organic fert game and loving it, but i'm pretty much a rook.... i live outside of boston and was hoping to get the best possible broadleaf control possible.... in the past i've used spot spray 2-4d, but want to eliminate it asap.

i'd like to be able to drive to where i need to get it, btu i can have it shipped, i guess.

thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

as treegal will tell you the two best organic selective weed controls are your left and right hand. Other than that the only organic weed controls are nonselective (roundup). Different people do things different ways, I personally am a hybrid company, I use 2-4d when I need to get control of a lawn and then hand pull after that. There is not a real good pre-m either, a lot of people will point you to CGM but it is hard to find and really expensive. So, I bring in the traditional pre-m's until I get the lawn in well enough shape to withstand the weeds on its own.

As I said, everyone does it differently, thats my two cents.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup - organic?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup

Big company - buying up farmland - makes broad spectrum plant poison - makes and sells genetically modified plants (seed) that is impervious to that poison - sues small farmers for using their seed which blows into farmers fields - farmers have to buy seed each year - can't harvest seed for sowing - numerous species invlolved - hmmmm
Now what is wrong with this picture?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

no no no, not round up as the organic, I have found organics that are similar to the reaction you get with roundup. Nonselective. Sorry for the wording. Kind of like vinegar? I think one was called burnout. I forget.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we are experimenting with an acid palm oil, it works good, we just have to work out some kinks.

after that try fire and a shovel or by hand.

vinegar and burn out( a mixture of clove oils and other things) work good to
Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I found spot spraying with Green Guardian weed and feed works great at least during the springtime when the broadleaf weeds are growing.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
we are experimenting with an acid palm oil, it works good, we just have to work out some kinks.

after that try fire and a shovel or by hand.

vinegar and burn out( a mixture of clove oils and other things) work good to
am i mistaken, in that experiment with mixs of your own is illegal??? not tryin to start a beef, but i was under the impression that putting down stuff not labelled for that specific purpose wasn't allowed.

ie i put down corn meal on my own lawn, but i believe that's illegal for me to do for others.

or is palm oil (i've never used it) intended specifically for that and labelled as such?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am pretty sure she has a license to do the experiments. She is a little mad scientist down there always talking about how she tries this and tries that. One day we are going to hear of this massive explosion and you will see her walking around on the news with her hair all frizzled, a black smudged face and a blank stare on her face. "oops". Like when a cartoon character blows up on T.V., well at least when I was growing up now they show limbs and blood flying everywhere it seems.

LOL
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

johnnywill08
Look at the "organic license what's in a name" thread, what you claim as a service was covered pretty well in that