Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

speed vs. torque

Hi all;
JimMac here from Boston. I like the features of the wright ztr, but I read posts that say speed is not as good as torque. I say this because I want to tow an earator behind the new ztr I purchase. Some think that the faster-geared mowers will burn out the pumps when towing a load like that. So which is better for my purpose- a 16cc faster ztr or a 10 cc slower ztr? Is there any other components to a ztr system to analize for my purpose? I would think that a 16cc pump would run cooler and therefor last longer, even though it is faster. Any help would be much appreciated. JimMac
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Sponsor

JimMac,

It is more the system as a whole that needs to be considered, and the weight of the aerator and the resistence it creates when being used. The 10cc system will probably be over stressed just by the weight alone. The 16cc system is a better match and the oil cooler in that system will help it handle the added load. JRCO does systems like this for our units and we haven't seen failures but not knowing the unit you will be using its hard for us to say yes or no. Obviously if a issue arises and the aerator is the reason the warranty would be void. It is best to contact Hydro Gear and see if the system on the unit in question will still be within its operating limits. Obviously it would effect the longevity of the system, its just hard to say by how much.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

speed vs. torque

Thank you for the information. Is there an oil cooler system on the wright ztr? I am probably going to go with a sit down ztr for the safety issue. I don't think the stander or sentar mowers (or any mower) could stop quick enough in an emergency situation-let's say someone has a heart attack-the safety opc would kick in but there would probably be a 1 to 2 foot stoppng distance for the mower to actually stop. This would allow plenty of time for that person to be run over by an earator if he falls off a stander. This is why I am leaning toward a sit down ztr although I would rather the sentar. But the good news is that the specs on the wright ztr are very good. 15 gal of gas; 13mph speed 16cc pumps all in a mower under 1000 pounds. It sounds too good to be true-so why don't other manufactures do the same configuration? But thanks for the info, it's nice to get feedback from the dealer. JimMac
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Sponsor

JimMac,

The MMZ does have an oil cooler just like the full size Sentar, mounted on top of the engine.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Department