Register free!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clause/advise for horse paddock needed

Fellas, I recently started getting referrals in a community of large lots some of which have horse paddocks. Today I am completing an estimate for a 2 1/2 acre property that currently does not have horses on it but the owner stated they may purchase some for the kids in the future. This paddock covers 70200 sf and is badly overrun with weeds that they want killed. I have explained to the owners that if they intend on purchasing these horses I will not treat the paddock due to the possibility of making those horses sick or die.

If any of you guys care for properties like this please advise me on how to properly proceed while protecting my business. It appears I will get the job regardless and have itemized the estimate with and without treatment on the paddock.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave

Proper horse terminology will get you further with the horsey set. A Paddock is a small holding area that generally doesn't grow grass because of the horses hoofs tearing up the ground in that smaller area. A Paddock is normally attached to or very near the barn. You are talking about a PASTURE.

Pasture Management is a area of turf management all to it's self and part of Animal husbandry. You may want to google pasture management in your area. I can't tell you much about Cool Season pastures, I do warm season Pasture Management. 2,4-D products can have Pasture labelling, check with the farm co-op in your area for products they sell all day long to farmers. To my knowledge Fertilizer will not be a problem, Urea is actually a additive to livestock feed. It is the pesticides you must be careful with. When that $500.00 nag dies, it becomes a $ 50,000 show horse.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric, you have always been someone here I respect and can count on for straight and accurate advise. Thank you for the post and the mini horse terminology lesson. I will let you know how this works out.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERT-TEK View Post
Ric, you have always been someone here I respect and can count on for straight and accurate advise. Thank you for the post and the mini horse terminology lesson. I will let you know how this works out.
Dave

The horsey set can be very fussy about their nags. If you have a big enough market, try and find a book with horse terms in it. I have dealt with these idiots for a long time and they can be a PITA. Since I was a horse idiot for most of my life I can tell you there are some real winners. Weed control should be no problem. You are not dealing with Fine Lawns. Use common sense and realize this is a pasture. A certain amount of weeds, especially grassy weeds is acceptable. If the animals have the pasture eaten down with non eatable weeds sticking up, a weed wipe of Roundup can give cheap weed control. Drag or hang a wiping bar off your mower. I have a Gator that goes over 20 mph and I have a 15 ft weed wide for it. Keeping enough Grass for grazing can be a bigger problem if the pasture is maxed out. When I had a boarding stable I irrigated and fertilized heavy in my pastures.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-30-2008, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What I know about this property so far it that they haven't had horses there for a year or longer and may be giving in to pressure from their children. I think this grazing area has become an eyesore for them and their neighbors and they want it cleaned up for appearances sake. It is a community of one million dollar homes on up, with 2 1/2 to 5 acres as an average. The people who own the property are back yard neighbors of two accounts I service and seem like regular folks with an abundance of money.

I have quoted them at the same rate as everyone else I service in their area with the hope of getting referrals in return. They have been quoted $45.00 per 1000 sf treated, pro-rated for the years five step program. Total square footage for their property is 110,000 sf or $4950 pro-rated to $2750 for the remaining four applications and "unlimited" weed control if they want everything treated. Blanket weed control applications are $5.00 per 1000 sf so the pasture will run them $350.

RIC, on a side note this year has been difficult to quote new customers due to fertilizer costs being so unstable. I am sure you can relate. My supplier said they can only guarantee prices for what they have in stock which fortunately includes a fresh delivery for my round two at $18.68 per bag which treats 15K..
Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERT-TEK View Post
Fellas, I recently started getting referrals in a community of large lots some of which have horse paddocks. Today I am completing an estimate for a 2 1/2 acre property that currently does not have horses on it but the owner stated they may purchase some for the kids in the future. This paddock covers 70200 sf and is badly overrun with weeds that they want killed. I have explained to the owners that if they intend on purchasing these horses I will not treat the paddock due to the possibility of making those horses sick or die.

If any of you guys care for properties like this please advise me on how to properly proceed while protecting my business. It appears I will get the job regardless and have itemized the estimate with and without treatment on the paddock.
We have horses and treat our Fields read the label there are some herbicides that can be used on lactating mares but in general just take them off that pasture for a week you need to rotate pastures any way
Charles Cue
Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
We have horses and treat our Fields read the label there are some herbicides that can be used on lactating mares but in general just take them off that pasture for a week you need to rotate pastures any way
Charles Cue
Charles, any recommendations or preferred products for the pasture?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else have experience with this topic that they would like to share.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Labeled rates of Tordon 22K, clopyralid, triclopyr, Banvel or 2,-4-D are not harmful to grazing livestock. You may not treat land feeding dairy cattle. Stock for slaughter must be removed from the treated pasture at the specified withholding period. These precautions have nothing to do with toxicity to the animals, rather FDA regulations concerning pesticide residue in meat and milk. At 1-2 Lb/acre for any of the above, you are way under a toxic dose for a 1000lb animal. The manure from livestock grazed on a Tordon treated pasture must not be used for fertilizer. There is enough herbicide in there to kill broadleaved vegetation. .
Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Labeled rates of Tordon 22K, clopyralid, triclopyr, Banvel or 2,-4-D are not harmful to grazing livestock. You may not treat land feeding dairy cattle. Stock for slaughter must be removed from the treated pasture at the specified withholding period. These precautions have nothing to do with toxicity to the animals, rather FDA regulations concerning pesticide residue in meat and milk. At 1-2 Lb/acre for any of the above, you are way under a toxic dose for a 1000lb animal. The manure from livestock grazed on a Tordon treated pasture must not be used for fertilizer. There is enough herbicide in there to kill broadleaved vegetation. .
Green

Tordon can be very tricky stuff. Poison a plant and you can kill one 20 feet away by translocation through the roots to the other plant. Tordon is good stuff to stay away from.