Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, cut stump treatments with Tordon are very dangerous. The only time and place I have ever used it was where it was understood that there would be no broadleaved vegetation within 50 ft of the treated area. At one time, the DOA would use toothpicks soaked on Tordon to kill bannana trees infected with Bunchy Top virus. Big mistake. The few miligrams of Tordon on each toothpick was enough to smoke all trees and shrubs around the bannana. RoundUp is safer for cut stump treatments. Garlon is more effective, but it can transfer to other trees via root grafting as well, but not as much as Tordon.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Yes, cut stump treatments with Tordon are very dangerous. The only time and place I have ever used it was where it was understood that there would be no broadleaved vegetation within 50 ft of the treated area. At one time, the DOA would use toothpicks soaked on Tordon to kill bannana trees infected with Bunchy Top virus. Big mistake. The few miligrams of Tordon on each toothpick was enough to smoke all trees and shrubs around the bannana. RoundUp is safer for cut stump treatments. Garlon is more effective, but it can transfer to other trees via root grafting as well, but not as much as Tordon.
Green

I use the tooth pick method on Brazilian Pepper Trees growing right in desirable shrubs without adverse results. I actually use a Q tip and not a tooth pick but the theory is the same. I do a stump cut but generally very high on a lateral branch. I have never had a problem with this method.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use Crossbow or Garlon 4 among desirable shrubs and trees using the same method. There is no Canada thistle here, but I have lead tree, schefflera, and other invasive species often growing in the landscape, in the middle of the city. A basal treatment with 2,4-D is very selective as well. I think the problem with traditional cut stump treatments is the large dose of herbicide applied to the stump. I even have stupid DIYers telling me I need to drill holes in the stumps so more herbicide can be applied. All of this extra work and chemical is not needed if the correct product is applied. For saplings under 6", I do not even cut. I just paint or spray the trunk of the tree.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are worried about toxicity on pastures,

Get a pair of goats to keep the weeds down, they eat weeds preferentially over grass! Drawbacks? Yes, goats only will respect an electric fence of several strands of hot wire, oh, and they smell bad. Ever hear the expression "stinks like billygoat piss!"?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiyDave View Post
Get a pair of goats to keep the weeds down, they eat weeds preferentially over grass! Drawbacks? Yes, goats only will respect an electric fence of several strands of hot wire, oh, and they smell bad. Ever hear the expression "stinks like billygoat piss!"?
Dave

Nanny goats aren't bad smelling, it is the Billy goat that really marks his territory with a strong smell. I have been there and done the goat thing. They can climb over chain link fences and can smell if a electric fence is turned on. Darn things are hard to keep behind even the biggest fence and large pasture. I have had great luck with donkeys that eat most of the same weeds and stay home.

BTW Goatscaping is a popular way to maintain property in the redwood forest region of California. Goat owner bring large herds of goats on to a property for a day or so.

Dave

Pasture management isn't all that hard. Rotating pastures is SOP. Stomach worms are the # 1 reason for rotating. But fertilizer and weed control can go hand and hand with Cultural worming practices. I will admit a back ground with grazing animal would be real helpful. But something tells me one of the land grant universities has a website with information for your area.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The horsey set can be very fussy about their nags. If you have a big enough market, try and find a book with horse terms in it. I have dealt with these idiots for a long time and they can be a PITA.
Dang it Ric that hilarious . When I was younger I dated a gal for 3 years that was into training show horses, what a freakin scene that was. If I ever have to step foot in a horse facility again it will be too soon.

I did tree work for a long time and this is what we used for stump treatments. http://www.vine-x.com/ I know it looks like a homeowner gimmick but it's not, it works very well on cut stumps and the packaging is as convenient as you can get.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS View Post
Dang it Ric that hilarious . When I was younger I dated a gal for 3 years that was into training show horses, what a freakin scene that was. If I ever have to step foot in a horse facility again it will be too soon.

I did tree work for a long time and this is what we used for stump treatments. http://www.vine-x.com/ I know it looks like a homeowner gimmick but it's not, it works very well on cut stumps and the packaging is as convenient as you can get.
PHS

Then you know I speak nothing but the truth about the Fussy PITA horsey people. It is one of the most political and politically correct sports you can get into. The very name brand of the saddle or your hat can make a difference of winning a show. Where you board your horse and who trains it and gives lesson also plays a major factor.

My favorite Show story in short was a time a guest judge was used at the last minute. He had no local political knowledge and had to judge on only what he saw. A big big up set in the order of things occurred that day and I believe he was never asked back again. Interesting enough I actually agreed with all his choices based on actual performance.

BTW a Horse has an intelligent just below a turtle and that is why they can be trained so easy. Mules are much smarter and can only be trained by out thinking them. But don't ever tell a horsey person how dumb a horse is.