Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2008, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
I don't know if it's because of overhead, or what, but how can the big co's actually suck that bad? The price of doing the job right, verses cutting corners (when it comes to killing weeds, that is) is nearly irrelevant. So why on earth wouldn't you do it right?

volume... tgcl is the walmart of lawn care. pays a little money, gets a little bit of service.

not to single out a specific company, cough cough... ahem... their techs are judged by revenue they bring in each day. not square footage or number of stops. give a tech a handful of $29 dollar invoices--- a ten hour day still wont make quota. i dont care if youve got an IV line of crystal meth into your arm... you cant do 30+ houses a day and do it right. the big company emplyoee i talk to now and again on jobsites told me he has to hit 1200 every day, rain, shine, snow, flood, no exceptions, just to have a saturday off. 1200 worth of 30 dollar applications, u do the math.

good for me though, customers finally get fed up and call me.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesticide View Post
volume... tgcl is the walmart of lawn care. pays a little money, gets a little bit of service.

not to single out a specific company, cough cough... ahem... their techs are judged by revenue they bring in each day. not square footage or number of stops. give a tech a handful of $29 dollar invoices--- a ten hour day still wont make quota. i dont care if youve got an IV line of crystal meth into your arm... you cant do 30+ houses a day and do it right. the big company emplyoee i talk to now and again on jobsites told me he has to hit 1200 every day, rain, shine, snow, flood, no exceptions, just to have a saturday off. 1200 worth of 30 dollar applications, u do the math.

good for me though, customers finally get fed up and call me.

I always say that I will never need a salesman as long as TG is out here.

They are definitly my best salepeople!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here in ny a lot of the bid companies do noy use liquid and their lawns are covered w weeds, green and high with all that fert but a lot of weeds.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
here in ny a lot of the bid companies do noy use liquid and their lawns are covered w weeds, green and high with all that fert but a lot of weeds.
That's b/c that particular company went all granular when they came out with the 48 hour notification law. They S_U_C_K and I am glad for it b/c they do a heck of a lot of advertising and get a bunch of work for the rest of us.