Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrims' Pride View Post
And I sprayed my 15 acre last friday in 3 hours 49 min.
Thats when I REALLY LOVE MY MACHINE!
I work alone and I wouldnt even want to think how long it would take this ole' fat man to push a spreader there!
The most I have done is 65 acres in one day with the z and 2 pg's. 12 hours the z did 35 acres the pg's did 15 each. One site some wide open some around sidewalks and buildings.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you guys talkin' Z-Max? How is it on residential lawns 12,000 -- 20,000 sq ft? Reasons I ask: 1) We're sold on the TURFCO compared to any other "small" ride-on, but 2) We also have many properties that are pretty big. Bottom line: We need two ride-on units. One big one & one big one?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Was this open area or was there a bunch of obstacles. How long does it take you to fill? How much time have you spent on it?

Reason I ask:

I thought that the Z was supposed to be so much faster and more effecient then a PG and every other ride on?

I can do between 2.5 -2.7 acres/hour very easy! You only averaged 2.3 acres/hour.

Just curious!
I have the Intermediate with the 18G tank and refills take about 10min.each. I was doing a school yard and had to lay a lot of flags as well. I don't see how I could have gone ay faster unless I had more tank volume.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you guys talkin' Z-Max? How is it on residential lawns 12,000 -- 20,000 sq ft? Reasons I ask: 1) We're sold on the TURFCO compared to any other "small" ride-on, but 2) We also have many properties that are pretty big. Bottom line: We need two ride-on units. One big one & one big one?

American...The Z-Max is great on any size property. I've done small properties with it as well as large industrial sites. Lawns 12K-20K are perfect for it. By the way, how do you like UAP? I've been using some of their fert and so far so good.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
YES, the z-max. I was afraid to use it on residentials except for spray only accounts until I was forced into using it this year. It gets right up to the bed line (no back pack needed) and if you control the reostat properly you can get right up to the driveways as well.

The downside is I need a trailer to tote it around. But it more than makes up for that in production. I can easily produce 2k a day in revenue by myself with the machine if the route is fairly tight.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks

I appreciate the info cuz LT Rich offers several sizes. Others on this site also recommend the Z-Max. I just wish we did not have to pull a trailer in order to haul around a Z-Max. Oh well, we haul our LESCO Z-Two on a trailer anyways. But hauling a trailer to treat lawns really really sucks bigtime.

UAP --- They saved us thousands of dollars this year cuz LESCO jacked up their prices big time. Their balanced fert is dusty, and it cakes up our spreaders on humid days, but their combo fert is really good and not dusty. Used 50% slow release w/Barricade this spring with no prob. Just received their fert w/Merit -- same colored bags as the fert w/Barricade so I expect it will have little dust too cuz it's made at a different plant.

Used to use Scotts until they threatened to sue us for telling folks we were using their product -- this was brought on when Scotts started their own lawn care franchises (yes, I hate franchises). Then we went to LESCO for years, until they tried to rape us on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Green Lawn View Post

American...The Z-Max is great on any size property. I've done small properties with it as well as large industrial sites. Lawns 12K-20K are perfect for it. By the way, how do you like UAP? I've been using some of their fert and so far so good.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING View Post
I thought you were getting one of the Turco units also? Still using the PG?
I am still running my PG as you all know I am a big fan.

I am still debating on the Turfco unit. I went out to MN and looked at the machine and ran it with American and the others and was througly impressed with it!

Infact I think it will take the market by storm with its unique characteristis.

The ONLY reason I have not got one yet, is I have already purchased a TON of equipment this year and I have my 08 and 09 fert in the barn, and want to keep a watch on the economy. To say the least I am getting pretty thin, if you know what I mean!

The Turfco machine is the real deal though!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

All I know is with my Z you can only go so fast. At 6 MPH you will travel a distance of 31,680 FT. The machine has a spray pattern width of 8 FT. 31,680 x 8 = 253,440 SQ. FT. 253,440/43,560 = 5.81 acres. So theoretically with-out stopping, turning, or reloading you could spray 5.81 acres an hour. Each minute you are not spraying you are losing 4224 SQ. FT. In 10 minutes you lose almost an acre's worth.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought another 12gal tank for my magnum and put it in the spreader, t'd off from the supply to the main tank. i works great, just need to let the main tank get down to about 6gal, then switch to the aux tank, it returns into the main tank and refills it at the same time. cost $110 for the tank from PG, fits perfect and was well worth it (for round 2 anyway).
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that's what I needed to compare - thanks

While I still am not ruling out purchasing a Z-Max, I'll probably opt for another T3000. The spread/spray width is as wide or wider (can't divulge that info quite yet). Also, we prefer to haul on a carrier rack versus pulling a trailer (another plus for the T3000).

Thanks very much TurfRyder -- I agree, 6 mph is really pushing the limit -- especially when you're spraying. We find that 5 mph is fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfRyder View Post
All I know is with my Z you can only go so fast. At 6 MPH you will travel a distance of 31,680 FT. The machine has a spray pattern width of 8 FT. 31,680 x 8 = 253,440 SQ. FT. 253,440/43,560 = 5.81 acres. So theoretically with-out stopping, turning, or reloading you could spray 5.81 acres an hour. Each minute you are not spraying you are losing 4224 SQ. FT. In 10 minutes you lose almost an acre's worth.