Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2008, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

liquid fert better for lawns with no irrigation?

customer called complaining about the quality of his lawn> I treated with the second app about two weeks ago and since then no rain and he has no irrigation and refuses to hand water. I started to get frustrated by explaining no matter what the lawn is treated with it must have adequate water. He replied he knew his neighbors have not watered yet and it looks good. Is their service using liquid fert?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I had a dollar for every time I heard a customer say the neighbor never waters and there lawn looks great I could retire right now. ALL fertilizers need water to work right. All lawns need water to grow, be green and healthy. Without looking at this lawn I would be guessing at the problem. If you checked the lawn and ruled out everything else that could happen... the guy needs to water. Liquid or dry makes no difference to the grass. Quality of the fertilizer will make a difference though.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! They all say that--"My neighbor never does anything and his yard is really green." Hard to find a good comeback, for that without telling the customer what an idiot he is.

Try to ignore his comments and concentrate on what he can do to improve his own lawsn.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Happens all the time. Had a guy say his neighbor never does anything to his lawn as I walk over and pull a flag from another company out of the lawn. And he still insisted he did nothing. I guess he was right the homeowner did nothing, the company he hired did it all

As stated above all fert needs to be watered to work properly but SCU with just sit while a MESA type will begin to give some results without water. BUT it still needs water. Dry lawns will not respond without water.

I dont know what to tell you except do your best and move on. You can only try to educate so much without banging your head against the wall.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wish I had a buck for every time I've heard that...

How tall are they each mowing? 1/2" can make a big difference

Liquid fert won't change anything.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WISEGUY

Here is what you do go to his house during the day turn on his water and water the heck out of his yard charge him for it and go to your next account.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

right on -- hear it several times a year

We had a new sign-up last year. Her lawn was full of creeping Charlie, Rugle's plantain, clover, violets, shephards's purse, speedwell, etc etc, etc and it was very thin She took our early fall weed & feed app, but she skipped the winterizer app. She recently called for a service call saying her lawn looked like crap compared to her next door neighbor who "never does anything". Turned out, her next door neighbor "who never does anything" is a customer of ours ......that's actually how she heard about us, but she forgot.

If I had a nickel for every.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Happens all the time. Had a guy say his neighbor never does anything to his lawn as I walk over and pull a flag from another company out of the lawn. And he still insisted he did nothing. I guess he was right the homeowner did nothing, the company he hired did it all

As stated above all fert needs to be watered to work properly but SCU with just sit while a MESA type will begin to give some results without water. BUT it still needs water. Dry lawns will not respond without water.

I dont know what to tell you except do your best and move on. You can only try to educate so much without banging your head against the wall.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nutrients need to go into solution in order to be absorbed by the root system. Without water you can't have a solution. (Just like nutrients in our body going into solution, the blood, and being transported to muscles, organs, etc) A small amount of liquid fertilizer will be absorbed by the grass blades but it can't be translocated throughout the entire plant which is what happens with fertilizer that goes into solution and enters through the roots.

Whenever they point out the great looking neighbor's lawn that doesn't get watered it probably had fertilizer applied right before a significant rainfall.