Register free!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Permagreen "Foot pads"

I will start out by stating I have never seen the new style rubber foot pads. I was quoted $40 + shipping. Instead I bought a foam rubber gardening pad for $2.50 and cut it in half, works great ! It is soft enough that the brake still works and it doesn't slip around because of the original grip underneath.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Give us a break...I mean, come on, now.... 40 bucks for a hunk of rubber? There are times when I firmly believe (and I'm not the only one) that guy from PG has lost his mind.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same as Libel. Only I drilled hoses in rubber and attached the pads to my Ultra with wire ties. More comfortable. Absorbs a little shock.
I also put rubber pads for bumpers under the handlebar pivot down-stop. Absorbs a little shock that would otherwise be transmitted to the handlebars and wrists when hitting bumps.

Also do you "float the bars". By this I mean unlock the handlebars and swing them back and hold them in a more comfortable position. You can't lean on the bars, but shocks and bumps from bumpy lawns are not transmitted to your wrists and shoulders. Probably too tireing to hold the bars up for a prolonged period, of course. Some sort of built in shock absorbing capability would be a nice improvement for any ride-on.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbilawncare View Post
I will start out by stating I have never seen the new style rubber foot pads. I was quoted $40 + shipping. Instead I bought a foam rubber gardening pad for $2.50 and cut it in half, works great ! It is soft enough that the brake still works and it doesn't slip around because of the original grip underneath.

That's funny, because they I talked to them at the OTF Winter Conference this winter and they sent them to me within a few days for FREE.

It is technically an upgrade, so why should you pay for it anyway?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbilawncare View Post
Brakes? What brakes? Or are you referring to the Flintstone brakes the rest of us have - throwing your feet onto the ground and skidding to a stop?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawndr View Post
Brakes? What brakes? Or are you referring to the Flintstone brakes the rest of us have - throwing your feet onto the ground and skidding to a stop?
All you have to do is turn a nut and adjust them!

No different then adjusting brakes on a bike or any other vehicle! Use them and when they are not working as good....fix them!

I can honestly say that I don't probably use my brakes but about 5 times a year! Once you get used to the machine, you just keep yourself out of the position to need them. Just like I never use reverse either! You just have to think ahead a little.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
All you have to do is turn a nut and adjust them!

No different then adjusting brakes on a bike or any other vehicle! Use them and when they are not working as good....fix them!

I can honestly say that I don't probably use my brakes but about 5 times a year! Once you get used to the machine, you just keep yourself out of the position to need them. Just like I never use reverse either! You just have to think ahead a little.
So much for my sense of humor. I don't use the brakes either but that's at least in part due to the fact that PG brakes aren't worth a doodle. It does no good to lock up the sulky wheels when you're being dragged down a slope by the rest of the machine. On the other hand, it is good practice for those of us who ski.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow...I find myself using the brakes more than that. Maybe I just have more areas with "dead ends" or something (like between a garage and fence, or something).

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Wow...I find myself using the brakes more than that. Maybe I just have more areas with "dead ends" or something (like between a garage and fence, or something).
I am in mostly larger lawns so that helps!