Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2008, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

question about buying an Isuzu

My Dodge broke down a month ago and I have been renting a Uhaul truck to do my routes,this has been costing me around $300. a week!!! The dodge is not worth the $1800. repair bill, so I am looking at Isuzu box trucks,I wass originally going to buy from Ryder,since their trucks are maintained really well, but their trucks have around 150,000 to 210,000 miles and prices from 11K to 18K!!! I am looking at one tommorrrow that has 70K, 14ft box with liftgate and asking $12K, I have the insurance lined up for it, but I am not sure how to go about getting a US DOT number?I live in KY and everybody I talk to says something different! Any suggestions? I cannot wait to see how good the MPG is with it, I last time I drove one for around 75 miles and only used 1/4 tank! My old Dodge on the other hand got 9-10 MPG! I hope everyone is having a great season so far, lets hope we dont get another drought like last year.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How far do you travel on your route. You don't have to have a dot number unless you are going to be pulling a trailer or traveling out of state, or you are over the gvrw of the truck Go ahead and buy the Isuzu you will love the mileage that you get. Pm me and I will point you in the right direction. One of my customers is a dot officer for the state of ky, and he helps me with any questions that i have. We do have dot number put we also have 13 trucks and travel all lot on the interstate and out of state.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have about a 92 model with box and dovetail. I get 10mpg, its diesel. My Dodge truck with trailer/loaded I get 15 mpg. Love the box truck but being part time I went back to pickup with trailer. Insurance nd higher fuel cost was killing me. Hope this helps.