Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-30-2008, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

hey I'm 17 and still in school. My business is doing well but I have't grow b/c of school. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions Landscaping View Post
The rain not so much, but my trailer needed a new deck in the middle of the week....actually it was me trying to put it off until the end of the season..long story short my cougar went thru the deck on the back of the trailer. So Micah offered to help me out on Friday. I normally mow between 45-50 properties a week. Micah and his Guat are unbelievable workers, and the Guatamalen is exteremley friendly...especially towards women haha.
You always have to be friendly to the nice single soccer mommies I know my son has gotten many offers and i just drool and think back to the college days
Old 08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothybuck13 View Post
hey I'm 17 and still in school. My business is doing well but I have't grow b/c of school. Do you have any suggestions?
You'll learn that 24 hours in a day isn't enough time to get everything done there is to do. Make school your priority for now, there will be plenty of time to make money when you're out. Also build connections with others in your area so when you are short on time and need things done, others can help you out.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMax Man View Post
He's been with me almost 5 weeks. He gets round 30 hours on average. we start at 8 and end round 5. the most hes gotten so far is 39 hours in a week. when he started he got round 20.
He must be saving you A LOT of time. I would just hate writing the check out every week for $300+.... Have you been able to add enough work so that you are netting similar money to what you were making as a solo op.?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

what do you use for baging with the stander and how well do it work for larger yard like how many times you dump and how often? cuz im in the market for a new mower and im thinking of a toro grandstand but we bag 90% of are yard and some are 2 acer watered and fert. soo the baging is the hold up other wise i like the idea of a stander.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you actually use all those things in the dump bed and all the rakes and hand tools on a daily basis?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions Landscaping View Post
The rain not so much, but my trailer needed a new deck in the middle of the week....actually it was me trying to put it off until the end of the season..long story short my cougar went thru the deck on the back of the trailer. So Micah offered to help me out on Friday. I normally mow between 45-50 properties a week. Micah and his Guat are unbelievable workers, and the Guatamalen is exteremley friendly...especially towards women haha.
Yeah i'll make sure he's not there when Rachel or Kelsy are around. He makes the funniest comments and statements when we're driving in the truck between jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothybuck13 View Post
Well if your thinking i'm growing very fast and outta control. I'm not. its been a slow process. The economy has kept things from taking off for many this year. do your best to secure what u have for work and build off that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston9915 View Post
He must be saving you A LOT of time. I would just hate writing the check out every week for $300+.... Have you been able to add enough work so that you are netting similar money to what you were making as a solo op.?
yes he makes the job go faster. I had a kid working with me before him so this isn't my first time having an employee. I have add more account and work so having another guys is paying of and making it worth it while also being able to expand and stay dependable for my customer base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCut_48 View Post
what do you use for baging with the stander and how well do it work for larger yard like how many times you dump and how often? cuz im in the market for a new mower and im thinking of a toro grandstand but we bag 90% of are yard and some are 2 acer watered and fert. soo the baging is the hold up other wise i like the idea of a stander.
I use the Grass Gobbler. Its not fun for big properties but i dont bag all the time. the grass catching options for Stander's arent the best as far as quantity. Its nice have the Walker because it makes up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
Do you actually use all those things in the dump bed and all the rakes and hand tools on a daily basis?
Yes anything in the dump i put in when we leave the shop in the morning so its thing we need for jobs during the day. the rakes and hand tools are used often too. i carry extra rakes because they do break when you arent expecting it.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I honestly do not think that guy is guatamalan. I have guatamalans working for me and they are all short and very dark skinned. Ive never seen a guatamalan look like the one working for you. But hey who cares what nationality they are as long as they do good work.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

that is a nice ford truck does it have a V8 or V10 Triton?
Poulan Pro Lawn Tractor 42" cut 19.5 hp
Snapper 28" Rear Engine Rider 8 hp
Snapper 21" Easy Speed 7 hp
Murray 20" 3.5 hp
Poulan Pro Blower
Weed Eater Featherlite Trimmer
Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Says it has a V8

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster