Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2003, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Stolen Blowers

Anyone else had a blower stolen recently? I have been in business for many years and never had anything stolen. Over the past 12 days, three backpack blowers have grown legs!
Old 06-12-2003, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Back in 1993, I bought my first backpack, a Stihl BR320. It got stolen about a month after I got it I went back to the handhelds until I could get a more money together. I ended up financing a Scag and threw a new BR400, Echo SRM2400, and Stihl edger in with the deal. All three got stolen within 36 hours I was so mad, at myself mainly. But damn, you steal a man's tv, he has to do without entertainment, you steal his equipment and you take his livelyhood A-holes!

There was a big ring of this going around back then and probably still is. There was one guy that was behind it all and he would send kids out to do it. The police knew all about it but said they could never pin it on him. I actually never turned in a claim on those three pieces. I figured the company that had them insured would never believe it happened twice and especially 36 hours after it was bought...so I just ate it.

I had about $3000-4000 worth of stuff stolen in about 2 years. Then I got dogs!

Last edited by Keith; 06-12-2003 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I've been lucky. Never had anything stolen, but I came close once. Hot summer night and I had just gotten into bed around 1am. Windows open and it's quiet outside. At the time we lived on a gravel road. I heard someone walking down the road and then the footsteps stopped. I got up and looked out the window and saw just the light of 2 cigarettes. I figured they were just talking till I see one of them walk in my driveway towards my truck. Well, down the stairs I go and out the door and across the lawn I run and these 2 High tail it out the driveway and up the street. I damn near caught the sum-bitches......but ya' can't run too fast on gravel barefoot and wearing only my BVD'd!!!! Never had a problem after that. I know all the kids in the neighborhood so I feel safe. I also did install a motion detector and spot lights over the truck & trailer.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

From where was the equipment stolen? I always worry when I make a stop at a store, gas station, food place that someone will swipe something. My stuff gets locked up tight at night, no worries there.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:54 AM
Banned

It doesn't bother me as much about stealing mowers and blowers and stuff as much as it bothers me that people would go around and steal full size backhoes and excavators and what not. I used to work with an excavator sometimes and he would always insist that all the equipment be locked up before we left the site due to people coming at night with big trucks, loading up the equipment and hauling it off to third world countries. Not too good when you are talking about a 50,000+ $ piece of iron
Old 06-12-2003, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I' m real sorry for you, it feels like you have been kicked in the backside.

About 2 years ago I had my work van stolen form my driveway at home. Normally I'd lock it in the garage at night but this one night I left it locked in my driveway, next morning it was gone.

The van was set up for garden and small lawn maintenance; 21" mower, brushcutters, blowers, hedge trimmers, chainsaw, hand tools, spray tanks, chemicals, repair tools etc. The equipment was worth $8500 and the van $10,000. The insurance paid for it but there was tools which I would occasionally use which I forgot to put in the insurance claim. It took about 8 months to get the new vehicle back to the same order as the old van.

Now I try to keep all my equipment as secure as possible.

Brendan.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I lock up all my equipment, if it's not in use, it's on the racks locked up. Although I live in a relatively small town, the event of a theft is quite high, so I just lock them up. Here's an idea, have a dog in the back of your truck, big 'ol pitbull. That'll make 'em think twice

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-13-2003, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am a friend of muybiencortar so I have heard this whole story already.

About two weeks ago he went into the shop where we buy all our equipment. Comes back out and a blower is gone off the back of his truck. One of the workers saw some crappy car come and grab the blower then take off. The cops find the guy from a partial plate identification but there was no blower to be found.

Since MBC was missing a blower and my brother was working for him i said that he could borrow my year old EB7000. While they were in the middle of mowing two lawns (3 workers) someone stole two blowers from the back of his truck. One was mine the other was his spare. No one knows where they went but my brother claims he saw an unusually crappy car drive down the street but didn't think anything of it. The street is a small drive with only four houses off a slightly more busy street.

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 06-13-2003, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had the same thing happen while I was working.
Someone took a blower out of the back of my truck while we were mowing. ********!!!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my saws are stihl,totally locked up . i decided stihl, husq or any other expensive units are just to hard for our poor local thieves to resist.
aint had a craftsman or ryobi stolen since. they really busted up my game once when everthing was stihl.