Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2000, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

hey guys hers a subject i haven't seen discused, do any of you practice organic lawn care i use organic fertilizers, herbacides, and pesticides, and have had fantastic results and my costomers love it altough sometimes it is a little more expensive in the start but in the long run it is cheeper and the costomers are willing to pay it they see this stuf on hgtv , and pbs tv. and when you present it to them their eyes light up not only good product but good promotional move I would like to hear what you guys have to say about it <p>----------<br>Dale Robins owner<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 01-13-2000, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Organic herbicides and pesticides?<p>Please elaborate.
Old 01-13-2000, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I too would like any and all info. I can get on organics. What about results, prices, suppliers, availability, etc. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2000, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If its organic would you need a license to apply it? I haven't heard of a &quot;organic applicators license&quot;! Might be the way to go and still be legal.
Old 01-14-2000, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use organics and think they are the future in home applications. People just dont realise what is in the chemicial ferts.<br>I havnt been happy with the organic herbicides Ive seen can you send me a list of your suppliers please. Jim
Old 01-14-2000, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am also interested in using organics. What brand of products are you using and who sells it?
Old 01-14-2000, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets get a couple of things straight:<p>1.) If it's a pesticide you need a license/certification to charge to apply it. <p>2.) Everthing is chemical. Organic means it contains carbon.
Old 01-14-2000, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I am currently researching the idea of starting a lawncare business. I felt the organic approach (so called environmental sensitive approach) would be the way to start. While at a Horticulture Trade Show in Toronto Ontario I approach many companies on this idea. To my surprise, I got alot of different answers. Many people said it maybe the way of the future however; it is a tough thing to sell because of the added costs associated with organic fertilizer, more labour intensive (more aeration, why not sure about this). Also the greenup response in the spring is slower than synthetic fertilizers. It was also suggested if you offer both a synthetic and organic fertilizer program, more often than not the client would pick the synthetic due to the price. I'm not sure of what I think of organics fertilizer. I have had some experience with them but not enough to offer any conclusions to them. I did come by a product called NatureSafe. I guess this has been around I the States for awhile but just introduced in Canada. I think it is made out of bone meal. There is also Miloganite which comes from Milwakee (not sure of the spelling excuse me) This product is very popular in Canada especially for golf course use. Is the organic chemical control you are refering is biological control? I think this is a very niche market selling organic products for lawncare. Is is viable to sure. I'm also curious to who offers this service and if they could provide their insights.
Old 01-14-2000, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

hey guys I'm not what you would call an expert on organics but I do practise it some of the pesticides I use are diatamatious earth for say grasshoppers garlic and pepper tea which I make myself as far as the ferts. I use a product called sustain, used with the lawn grows thicker and greener than with synthetics and after second or third app. becomes so thick it begins to choke out the weeds and becomes virtually a weed free lawn. Agood web sight to go to to learn more, and to obtainfree recipes and other apps. is www.dirtdoctor.com and on sat. morn between 11-12 central and sunday 8- 12 he has a talk show on wbap.com/bi/howard.html the host is Howard garret an expert out of Dallas tex. and has his own line of products and books which can be bought through the web sight excelent books (just thowght af more) corn gluton meal for prel-emergent, corn meal for fungus dry molass along with fert. first time to increase micro bacteria, liquid seaweed for rooting harmone really makes your flowers take off,all I can think of right now ,just got in from all day deer hunt on horseback hurts to sit down if you need any mor help let me know on this forum or e-mail me<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 01-16-2000, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer, organic does not mean it containes carbon. Some of the products I use are certified organic under the organic farmers act (more federal regulation). <br>By a product just containing carbon it isnt organic. <br>Malorginite might be organic, but it contains heavy metals and putting the sewage sludge from milwakee on my yard dosent thrill me.<br>As far as labor intensive goes it does take three years for an organic program to take full effects. The organic program will choke out weeds and promotes earthworm developement which adds nitrogen and loosens soil compaction reducing the need for airiation.<br>I have a client who retired last year and decided to &quot;do it himself&quot; he put twice as much chemicaly based fert on his lawn and wasnt happy with the results. His lawn was &quot;chemicaly free&quot; when I started 3 years ago, as it was new sod on fresh fill the fill came from a large bottom field that the dump truck operater has just for topsoil, and hasnt put anything on it in years. It will take a while to get it back into shape but Hes a client this year again.<br>We could discuss the finer points for ever and still not resolve anything. So as far as this goes lets agree to disagree. And to help to educate each other. I belive the federal government will be regulating the fertilizer industry before long and home lawns will be the first affected. Home lawns are the biggest user of chemical based frets. some times using 4 to 5 times what is used by farmers. I know of people who put 800 lbs per year per acre on there home lawn, if a farmer did this first of all he couldnt afford it and secondly it wouldnt do him much good. Balance is the key no matter what. Ill get of my soap box now. BTW Im not one of those vegiterian &quot;bunny hugger&quot; types I just think were killing our selves with chemicals and hormones. jim