Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2000, 04:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, I'd like to thank Phil for his latest post above. I am by no means a &quot;granola&quot; person at all. I have been researching the organic approach prior to entering this field of what will become the future. (Did anyone see that the state of New York has over 60 pesticide bills on the docket for this coming year) Why is that? Is is because the large Chem-Lawn companies who are suppose to be knowledgeable in herbicides and pesticides are out there just to make money? Ever quiz any of these kids with cut-offs, no respirator masks, etc.. while they're applying this stuff on your customer's lawn. Don't bother, most can't tell you anything but what's on their pre-written work list. Why is it also that these same companies telemarket their existing customers selling them fert programs they don't need. Do these same companies tell their new customers that are going to be killing all of the benficial insects and life under the soil and grow their lawn in a hydroponic state. How about the safety issue of kids and dogs on their lawns. And finally, why in the middle of the biggest drought of the decade this past summer, were they out there every day spreading chemicals and then turning around to the customers when the lawn burns and tell them that the lawn guy is cutting too short? Sorry to go on, but previous posts about undocumented claims and misinformation on organics has me a bit stymied. As for the Naturalawn franchise, they specifically state in all brochures and information to their customers, that they will use a biorational or biological control as a prefernce, but will use synthetic materials very sparingly if all other options have been exhausted. Like I said as well as Phil stated, no need to be exact or on the same page. Apples to oranges! They are 2 different approaches to an ends mean. What ever in advertising is truthful? They both have a long way to go, but don't knock organics, it's a viable and rational approach to keeping your lawns greener for you to make more$$$. <p>Mike
Old 01-21-2000, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

In the very early stages (years ago) when organics was being &quot;pushed&quot;.. some companies selling it went way overboard with deceptive advertising actually putting a &quot;scare&quot; into customer's minds. Presently, legitimate<br>organic companies do not practice deceptive advertising ... and the customer handouts and brochures tell it like it is which is that organic fertilizers and products will be used &quot;where practicle&quot; and that ordinary<br>pesticides &quot;used sparingly&quot; will be used only as needed ... no blanket spraying of weeds for example where &quot;spot weeding&quot; will suffice. Really just good IPM. Yet in spite of that, some customers just assume because the word organics is on the truck ... well then it must be an all organic outfit. That isn't the fault of the company .. that the customer didn't read the brochure entirely.<br>At the moment a 100% program is very expensive and way beyond what the average customer will spend. The word &quot;organic&quot; is becoming popular .. that's good enough for me<br>and a good &quot;marketing tool&quot; as well as long<br>as the customer is not mislead.<p>Nilsson Associates