Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
Greendoc...how does seven work on cinch?
Very well as long as it is applied correctly. I do mine through a boom with solid cone nozzles running at 300 PSI and 3 gallons per M. Aside from being cheaper, I prefer liquids for precision of coverage and placement, as well as rapid results. The only time I do not mind granules is for spot treatment of fire ant nests.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Liquid insecticide is always cheaper than granules

Yo

A few years ago I did a cost study of every insecticide labelled for turf.

in order of less expensive per thousand sq feet at the price two years ago are the following

Cyper TC $ 0.30

Permethrin Pro $ $ 0.42

Demon TC $ 0.44

Talstar one $ 0.94

Please note the TC stands for termite concentrate but these produces are labelled for turf. With the constant changing prices I have not update this information. Prices are changing too quick. My list is much bigger but these are the low cost 4.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Opps Getting stupid in my old age

Bifen XTS @ high rate of 0.15 oz works out to be $ 0.19 per thousand sq ft including tax. This is what I use as my broad labelled surface insecticide. When I did the cost study this was not on the market as a generic.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed View Post
Shades of green,you know the cubbies are gonna win it all this year dont ya
..............Oh.. I just rememberd they are actually the best team in baseball as of right now.....Dam!!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Is there an advantage to granular vs. liquid BESIDES application method? B/c liquid is a lot cheaper...
granular last a lot longer
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Very well as long as it is applied correctly. I do mine through a boom with solid cone nozzles running at 300 PSI and 3 gallons per M. Aside from being cheaper, I prefer liquids for precision of coverage and placement, as well as rapid results. The only time I do not mind granules is for spot treatment of fire ant nests.
I have gotta ask, you do alot of liquid, but what about the comp down your way? I mean you are not doing 500k plus a day dragging a hose.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 06-10-2008, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Is it encapsulated or coated or something?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have gotta ask, you do alot of liquid, but what about the comp down your way? I mean you are not doing 500k plus a day dragging a hose.
Good luck finding anyone who broadcast sprays anything on turf besides golf course superintendents. I am the only one outside of the golf courses running a boom or power sprayer. Everyone else does all granules and spot sprays weeds. Which does not work very well here. But if the companies are not willing to pay certified applicators more than $10 an hour, then what happens normally is the boss has the license and he sends out illiterate workers to do the $hitty unprofessional work I see all over this state. The most those workers understand is "how many ounces per gallon". It is my understanding that many chemicals are not allowed into Hawaii because of this situation. The DOA fears misuse and pollution caused by bad applications. Compass, Dismiss and Drive are the 3 I can think of, that are banned in Hawaii.

Most of the lawns I treat are under 10,000 sq ft, so there is no excuse for high speed and half-azzed applications. I have no problems doing them with a walking boom powered by a gas engine backpack. Most turf areas over that size are unmaintained rough areas taken over by weeds. Which is a shame, given the value of land here. However, it can be expensive to maintain green, weed free turf here. My $1200-16000 per year per 1000 sq ft is not an unreasonable figure considering what needs to be done. Pulling a hose can be very different from what you are thinking. Try pulling a hose 100 ft upstairs or downstairs to the lawn. The lawns here are different too. Most of the lawns I maintain are bermuda or zoysia cut at less than 3/4". Granules will just get picked up at the next mowing unless you are spreading greensgrade fertilizers at $40-50 a bag. I also deal with mean infestations of fall armyworm and sod webworm. Nothing beats a correctly applied spray, because my clients and I want them dead yesterday. Of course you know my position on chinch bug. Many of the problems controlling this pest center around inadequate application and failure to rotate classes of active ingredient. Lastly, if my clients wanted to see granules all over the place, they would do business with the "landscapers" or unlicensed gardeners. My clients pay me to keep their lawns and landscapes healthier and greener than the companies they used to do business with.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good Point

Quote:
IN GENERAL Liquid is less expensive per thousand Sq Ft and has a Faster response

Granules have a slower response time but longer Residual.

Labor to apply each can vary from the size of the area to be treated and equipment used. Ride on spreaders on large areas are very time saving. Liquid application on small areas is less labor than granules. Application equipment can vary in cost widely, But a general rules is the more expensive equipment is less labor and time in both cases.

Choosing Equipment and products that best fit your market is what the game is all about.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Good luck finding anyone who broadcast sprays anything on turf besides golf course superintendents. I am the only one outside of the golf courses running a boom or power sprayer. Everyone else does all granules and spot sprays weeds. Which does not work very well here. But if the companies are not willing to pay certified applicators more than $10 an hour, then what happens normally is the boss has the license and he sends out illiterate workers to do the $hitty unprofessional work I see all over this state. The most those workers understand is "how many ounces per gallon". It is my understanding that many chemicals are not allowed into Hawaii because of this situation. The DOA fears misuse and pollution caused by bad applications. Compass, Dismiss and Drive are the 3 I can think of, that are banned in Hawaii.

Most of the lawns I treat are under 10,000 sq ft, so there is no excuse for high speed and half-azzed applications. I have no problems doing them with a walking boom powered by a gas engine backpack. Most turf areas over that size are unmaintained rough areas taken over by weeds. Which is a shame, given the value of land here. However, it can be expensive to maintain green, weed free turf here. My $1200-16000 per year per 1000 sq ft is not an unreasonable figure considering what needs to be done. Pulling a hose can be very different from what you are thinking. Try pulling a hose 100 ft upstairs or downstairs to the lawn. The lawns here are different too. Most of the lawns I maintain are bermuda or zoysia cut at less than 3/4". Granules will just get picked up at the next mowing unless you are spreading greensgrade fertilizers at $40-50 a bag. I also deal with mean infestations of fall armyworm and sod webworm. Nothing beats a correctly applied spray, because my clients and I want them dead yesterday. Of course you know my position on chinch bug. Many of the problems controlling this pest center around inadequate application and failure to rotate classes of active ingredient. Lastly, if my clients wanted to see granules all over the place, they would do business with the "landscapers" or unlicensed gardeners. My clients pay me to keep their lawns and landscapes healthier and greener than the companies they used to do business with.

Do you have any pics of your bpack and boom set up?
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers