Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2001, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco Blowover - need input/advice.

Lesco owners - need your input (and others too). Bought a new 48 belt drive this year. Worked good - however, we experienced a hell of a lot of debris blow-over (debris blowing out in front of the machine and then over the deck). Doing leaf clean-ups was hell in the Fall and in the summer the dust and debris on a hot day wasn't very pleasant. I know other posts here have echoed this complaint about these mowers.
My question - has anyone ever done any modifications to try to correct this problem? I looked at the baffle system underneath the deck and compared it to the Buntons we use. It seems as if I welded a one inch angle iron "lip" to the front deck face (so that the lip ran parallel to the ground) this might interupt the airflow enough to cure the blow over problems. Any thoughts? Experiences? Etc.... ?
Old 12-27-2001, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One way of easy fixin is too take 1 blade bolt washer out of the bottom of the deck.What this does is moves your blade up and dosen't (blow out) as much.This is what i did for my fall mowings.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

5 star - tried that. It helped a little bit - but not much. We actually adjusted it so that it's really far up there (no spacers). Thanks though.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

blow out

what type of blades do you have on the unit.Standard or high lift?
We have had great success with moving the blade spacer as mentioned. The gator blades in the fall reduce the blow out also. Also consider where you have the deck bolted up to the traction unit. This will often cause incorrect pitch and result in blowout.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

superfert -thanks for the advice. We tried all sorts of blades low lift, high lift, gator, mulchers, double baldes, etc... all to no avail. The problem wasn't actually blow-out. It was blow -over - too much air blowing out from under the front of the mower and subsequently causing all sorts of debris to be blow up and in the face of the operator (also - instead of sucking in the leaves and blowing them out the chute, it blew a lot of leaves in front away and around - just making a mess).
Old 01-02-2002, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Jason , Putting a angle on the front will help your situation if the angle goes back far enough under the deck. However you would want to attach it so you can remove during the mowing season, the reason is so your blade tips will come back in contact with the grass ASAP. The baffle will push over the grass not allowing the blade tips to cut the grass as well. Also check the pitch of the deck(you may already have) making sure the front of the blade is about 1/4" to 3/8" lower than the rear. Everybody has different opinions on this subject, I'll tell you why I recomend it for your problem. If the back of the deck is lower than the front it cuts the grass twice thus taking more horsepower and giving less performance. When the blade cuts the grass at the back of the deck, that grass flows to the front where the grass has already been cut ( that uncut grass at the front usually acts as a seal around the front of the deck) and lets it blow out. I hope I haven't confused you with my babbling but sometimes it's harder to write about stuff like you can say it. Good Luck making a baffle. Tony
Old 01-04-2002, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony - thanks for your input. That's exactly what I was thinking - I was just looking for some 2nd input/confirmation. I noticed that on our Buntons there's about 3-4" of blade clearance between the front lip and the blade tip. On the Lesco, there's about 7-8 inches of clearance to the front (an no baffle lip). I'd assumed this to be the problem after I'd finally discovered it (many nights laying in bed - beats counting sheep!!). There's lots of room the weld in this baffle. I had asked the Lesco guys about this (and if they'd encountered any other complaints). Of course they said no I was the ONLY one (a search of lawnsite threads revealed otherwise!) and couldn't offer any useful advice.
Thanks again - when I get it welded and tested (spring) I'll let you know how it goes.