Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2008, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Root Length

I was thinning out my carrot sprouts yesterday and there was a lot of various grass sprouts to deal with. I noticed that while I was pulling them out that the roots were already 3" long by the time the tops are large enough to grab.
This is just the 'visible' part of the root.

So the question is: If we, as scapers, are usings 4" of topsoil, then why is it so difficult to get a longer root base than 1 or 2 inches?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I was thinning out my carrot sprouts yesterday and there was a lot of various grass sprouts to deal with. I noticed that while I was pulling them out that the roots were already 3" long by the time the tops are large enough to grab.
This is just the 'visible' part of the root.

So the question is: If we, as scapers, are usings 4" of topsoil, then why is it so difficult to get a longer root base than 1 or 2 inches?

I dug post holes for raised beds for my wife last weekend. Roots are down five inches. I thought this was pretty good since this lawn has never been cut longer than 2 5/8 inch .
Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cool. Do you know why? Do you do a lot of aerating?

I was more referring to lawns that are professionally renovated. Everywhere I have plugged this spring I see mostly crown roots less than an inch long and nothing growing into the soil below. [My 2 hole plugger pulls about 3" plugs and most soils are consistant, throughout]
Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Soil compaction
2. Shallow watering by homeowners
3. Poor cultural practices by mowing companies and homeowners is the big one in my book.
4. Lack of soil biology
Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Natty, Elaborate on poor cultural practices and how it relates to root growth/depth.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yes please , just once for the little people. we have st Augustine in my yard that's 18 inches tall and has roots 24 inches deep, we want some more ideas???

oh and it went to seed heads today????
Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

TG, we were talking about 'legitimate lawn' turf.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Cool. Do you know why? Do you do a lot of aerating?

I was more referring to lawns that are professionally renovated. Everywhere I have plugged this spring I see mostly crown roots less than an inch long and nothing growing into the soil below. [My 2 hole plugger pulls about 3" plugs and most soils are consistant, throughout]

Mulch mowing, no prem , no syn fert, deep infrequent watering. worms are the only aerating on this lawn, the robins really like this lawn!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

there is nothing wrong with aeration. As far as I know it is VERY beneficial. Plus, it is good money for you too.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first wild guess would be...the carrot area (Garden) Is getting more attention than the lawn...the water In the garden Is deeper and also your not running over It with your lawn mower compacting Its growing medium...the biology...I bet the garden has more compost deep within as well...we cant keep the mowers off the lawn but we can add a deeper soil/compost mix right from the get go to compensate from the lawn getting too compacted...keep It well aerated and the water down deep...thats my wild guess and I'm sticking to It

D