Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2001, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Side Discharging with a Toro, JD or Honda 21"

It seems like there will be some strict restrictions regarding the pick up of grass clippings in 2002. Many of our municipal governments are moving to stop the pick up of grass clippings in 2002. This leaves me in a bind. I usually mulch from mid-June to October and bag in May/early June and on final cuts for the year. I have tried mulching in the spring but both my John Deere JX85 and Toro 21" Proline leave a mess. This brings me to my question. For those of you who use the either the Toro Proline or JD JX85, does the side-discharge chute work well. My plan is to put doubles on the Toro and look to see if the side discharge works, same with the Deere. What do you all think or should I look at getting a dedicated side-discharge unit like a Lawn Boy or Honda 216 equipped with a quadra-cut blades? Also, does side-discharging leave a mess
Old 12-30-2001, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a JD 14SB, almost the same as your JX85. I also noticed that while it mulches the grass well, the quailty of the cut isn't real good. I use my machine on only 3 lawns for trimming. The properties are comercial ones with dumpsters, (the clippings go in their dumpsters) so I bag all three and with the bagger the quality of the cut is a lot better than mulching. I have a side discharge, but don't use it. With the side discharge the cut quaity is good, but the clippings left behind are worse than mulching. Double blades on a 21 mower might be stressfull on the engine.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 12-30-2001, 02:44 PM
Banned

The chutes for the Toro's & any other rear bagging 21" are terrible (clumping, messy discharge). Use a LB with desig. chute for clean discharge.
Doubles will make discharge worse on a Toro 21". Use only for leaf mulching.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the JX75, same but not considered commercial (doesn't have steel wheels and reinforced height adjusters). They gave me the side discharge chute for free (only like $10) because they only had the floor model in stock when I bought it. I usually bag with it, but occasionally I side discharge and I think it works great. The chute has a big opening and doesn't clog. I'll go take a picture of it...
Old 12-30-2001, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some pictures of it:

Old 12-30-2001, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the input, especially your Oryan. Those are some great pictures you took. When you side-discharge with the JX75, did the clippings leave a mess?
Old 12-30-2001, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It really depends on the height of the grass. If it is fairly tall, yes it will make a mess...that's why I usually bag it. I would buy the mulch kit for it, but I have heard that it doesn't work very well with this mower. I might buy one this summer to try it out though.

If the grass isn't too tall/thick, it should look fine. Since the chute is only $10, I would go to the dealer and buy it, see how you like it.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 0ryan0

If the grass isn't too tall/thick, it should look fine.
Joe this is why you should go with the LB. Same area as you & we discharge spring growth with little difficulty. Take off the metal bar under the side chute & you get clean discharge in demanding conditions.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

walker did i miss something or just stupid whats a LB.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LB= Lawn Boy