Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2000, 12:04 PM

Location: Middle Tennessee, Walking Horse Capital of the World
I have a customer who wanted to have lawn over-seeded last fall, but used weed-n-feed. Has anyone had any problems overseeding in the spring after a fall application of weed-n-feed. Would appreciate your comments.<p>----------<br>Richard <br>Davis Total Lawn Care
Old 01-18-2000, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

reseeding in the spring would be no problem. i ussually wate only a couple weeks after puttin a weed and feed down before i seed and have had much success. especially since by time spring comes it would have been like 5 months since it was applied.
Old 01-18-2000, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

There will be no problem overseeding in the spring.That chemical will be long gone.<br>You should usually be able to seed 2 to 3 weeks after the application.<br>But if your going to seed i wouldnt put down a pre-m this spring
Old 01-18-2000, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

The lawn will be fine for overseeding in the spring. The weed component of the fertilizer is gone. (Unless it is a pre-emergent with an ultra long residual)<p>The thing to watch for if you are overseeding is the use of pre-emergent herbicides in the spring. (These are used to kill grasses like crabgrass & others). If you use these prior to seeding, the new seeds will fail. Dont use any weed control on the overseeded area until the seedlings are mature.<p>I try to get my customers off of the store bought &quot;weed & feed&quot;. I think it's garbage.
Old 01-18-2000, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

What would you recomend rather than store bought weed & feed?
Old 01-18-2000, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Store bought weed & feed really is garbage. Milorganite is particularly crappy.
Old 01-18-2000, 09:09 PM
Goodbuddies

The chemical used in most Weed & Feed fertilizers is just a herbicide called 2-4D. This is the herbicide that ALL fertilizer application business' use to control weeds in peoples lawns. I highly doubt that this herbicide would prevent the newly planted seed from germinating. You may be thinking of a pre-emergent type fertilizer or weed preventer. If a lawn is treated with ANY type of weed block...then no seed will germinate. Applying a herbicide like 2-4d won't do any harm to the new seed.
Old 01-19-2000, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Goodbuddies:<p>That is not necessarily true information. <p>1.) Not all lawn care's use 2,4D herbicide. Most do, but many companies, myself included have a 2,4D free option. Confront herbicide, for example is popular and contains no 2,4D. TruGreen makes some applications with MCPP & dicamba only.<p>2.) 2,4D application decreases grass plant metabolism and can be harmful to new seedlings. The rule of thumb is no weed control until after the 3rd mowing.
Old 01-19-2000, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Weed & feed, 2-4,D, or any other herbicide: READ THE LABEL, READ THE LABEL, AND READ THE LABEL AGAIN!! Label is a legal document, and use of product outside label directions is illegal.<br>Generalization: postemergent herbicides usually warn not to treat area 2 to 3 weeks before seeding, and not to treat emerged seedlings until after 2nd or 3rd mowing.<br>Another generalization: most preemergents will not allow seed germination for 4 to 8 months (depends on A.I.) On new spring seeding use siduron as preemergent. It will control crabgrass and allow grass germination. Downside is the cost and need to repeat in 30 days.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-19-2000, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I have never seen a pre-m last more than 2 months.Unless you do more then one app.The barrier brakes down pretty fast with traffic and the weather