Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2001, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Software better than Quickbooks?

I am brand new to this forum.....really good stuff on here. I am just getting back into the business(long story, read my profile), and need some software that my accountant can use as well as me. I have heard about Groundskeeper Pro, but am wondering if it is any good. Please give feedback, and thank you ahead of time.

P.S. I am currently seeking a business partner in the Rock Hill, SC area. Please contact me if you are interested by e-mail.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to tell us what you want to use the software to do. As far as routing and scheduling go, QB won't help you at all. It's an accounting application. If you are good with computers and have the time, MSOffice will do literally everything, and can be customized. However, there are quite a few products for this industry (Lawn Monkey, CLIP, WINTAC, and others) Check out Lawn and Lanscape or PRO trade magazines.

BTW, I use CLIP for routing, scheduling and billing, but use Peachtree for all accounting. They were both cheap and easy to use.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 12-30-2001, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Many accountant offices now use quickbooks. If your accountant suggests using this, then give QBExpress by alocet a try for your routing/scheduling. http:\alocet.com

They're also the manufacturer's of Lawn Monkey

Goo luck
Old 12-30-2001, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eslawns,
If CLIP was cheap, you must have a small LCO w/ <100 accounts (CLIP Lite?) Clip is cheaper than ARBOR GOLD only. That program is so expensive I know of noone even using it!
Old 12-30-2001, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I am also in the same position as Barefoot Landscaping. Barefoot, I am currently demoing Groundskeeper Pro and I am impressed. You can do routing, scheduling, invoicing, payroll, estimate sheets, apply payments, income stats, and pay bills online. However, I believe Clip can also do the same. I have requested a free demo CD from them also. Personally, I did not care for Lawn Monkey.
Excellent site as always!!!
Old 12-30-2001, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stahls2
Personally, I did not care for Lawn Monkey.
May I ask why?
Old 12-30-2001, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

LoneStarLawn,
I confused Lawn Monkey with a snow plowing software (no names). After your reply, I looked at Lawn Monkey's site to refresh my memory. It "appears" to be similiar, to Groundskeeper Pro and Clip. Lawn Monkey is also compatible with PDA's, which I am also considering in the future as my business grow.
Old 12-30-2001, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stahls2
LoneStarLawn,
I confused Lawn Monkey with a snow plowing software (no names). After your reply, I looked at Lawn Monkey's site to refresh my memory. It "appears" to be similiar, to Groundskeeper Pro and Clip. Lawn Monkey is also compatible with PDA's, which I am also considering in the future as my business grow.
We have demoed all three and one other (real green) and found out that Lawn Monkey suits our needs the best. I asked because I was curious on what you didn't like.
Old 12-30-2001, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

LoneStarLawn,
I have only twelve residential accounts as of now. (Snowing, as I type this message). However, I am confident my accounts will increase rapidly and I want to be known as a professional. My question, can you tell me some of your needs. Your needs are probably very similiar to mine. I am seeking a professional software package that can do everything. Accounting, payroll, pay bills, estimating, scheduling, routing, compatible with PDA's, and anything else I can't think of at this time.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We wanted a program that had alot of features. That was expandable as we needed more. That was easy to use from almost the start.

We obviously do not do any plowing, but I am sure Lawn Monkey or QB express could fit your needs. I suggest you try out the demo and see for yourself.

Lawn Monkey fits want you have listed.