Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2008, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Stolen Gas

Doesn't compare with the other things stolen, posted here, but was still upsetting to me.

I don't have a lock tray for my gas cans on my trailer, so I unload them and put them up by my Garage doors. Figure that would be safe enough since I live on a dead end road and they have to walk past 2 trucks (on the road) and 2 cars (on the drive) to get up there.

Been doing this all spring, so was nothing to store them there again this weekend.

But dangit, was going to refuel my mower to mow my own yard today, walked to get one of the cans and "WTF". They were nice enough to leave the empty can and the one that had maybe a gallon in it, but my 2 full 5 gallon cans were gone.

I am so small scale, that really hurts. I only had two jobs last week and that was about half of my profit .

So, can you claim stolen gas as a business loss on your taxes???

Has me second thinking my storage situation. They could have taken alot more.

My big truck hasn't been getting very good gas mileage, I wonder if they are sucking my gas out as well. Perhaps I should invest in some locking caps.

Oh well, lesson learned and it only cost me about $50 bucks counting the cans too.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you only have a few lawns why do you have to full 5 gallons for. We only have one 5 gallon can per truck and thats 45-60 lawns a week depending on the truck. Yeah it has to be filled up every few days but how hard is that. just throw the 3 cans in the car and go fill them up.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

also if you have a garage why not put the cans in there.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Good questions, and is a long story for an answer, but I will try to stick with the short story.

I have an old truck, and it has ran out of gas on me before (bad sender on the gas tank.) The gauge will fool you into believing you still have gas left. So I carry an extra 5 gallons in case that happens again.

Why not in the garage, my garage is a pit. Is on my list of things to clean up. Hell, I haven't even stored away my snow shovels yet. haha

Me and the wife was just talking about the "loss of assumed safety." I am an old country boy, half the time I leave my keys in the ignition.

I will admit, I am to assume responsibility. I have a false sense of security. None of my vehicles or tool boxes are locked and I have tools everywhere.

Reading the other posts and all the things that have been stolen is a lesson for me. Before now, it was nothing for me to leave things insecure on the trailer or even on a sidewalk while I am working in a back yard. I guess I need to invest in some chains and locks.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just figured from the springs you would know. They have alot of meth heads out there. especially any theing west of academy or the far south end of acedemy down by chelton.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Put out another can tonight only put enough gas in it to color it and smell, fill the rest with water.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

You know, I had thought about that. Also thought about waste motor oil, but they would just dump that somewhere.

My wife said sugar in the can w/ the gas, but "Myth Busters" proved that false.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I thought about locking gas cap on my truck, but then they might drill holes in the tank or something, or just really f*** up my truck cuz they are pissed that they couldn't get the gas out.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't have a lock tray for my gas cans on my trailer, so I unload them and put them up by my Garage doors. Figure that would be safe enough since I live on a dead end road and they have to walk past 2 trucks (on the road) and 2 cars (on the drive) to get up there.
One of my customers was telling me about his neighbor who had 1000 USED interlocking pavers stolen from his back yard. They have no back lane so the thieves would have had to come in through the front yard and carry them back to the front street. A real nice neighborhood to and they were used
Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkg View Post
Doesn't compare with the other things stolen, posted here, but was still upsetting to me.

Been doing this all spring, so was nothing to store them there again this weekend.

But dangit, was going to refuel my mower to mow my own yard today, walked to get one of the cans and "WTF". They were nice enough to leave the empty can and the one that had maybe a gallon in it, but my 2 full 5 gallon cans were gone.

I am so small scale, that really hurts. I only had two jobs last week and that was about half of my profit .

So, can you claim stolen gas as a business loss on your taxes???

Has me second thinking my storage situation. They could have taken alot more.

My big truck hasn't been getting very good gas mileage, I wonder if they are sucking my gas out as well. Perhaps I should invest in some locking caps.

Oh well, lesson learned and it only cost me about $50 bucks counting the cans too.
dog for the garage.locking gas cap on your truck