Sponsor

Define " proven security system"

Please define.... Proven security system.... Ken
Old 04-28-2008, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken gustafson View Post
Please define.... Proven security system.... Ken
Proven security system: Having your valuable item in a locked, windowless, building which has it's own self contained electronic security system, with cellular backup for dialing the alarm monitoring company...a kill switch-disabled machine, a physical cable lock arrangement anchored into concrete to disable a "roll away" theft...security cameras on the outside and inside of the buildings constantly monitoring the site and contents of building and internet access to the digital video recorder with an alarm circuit which dials your cell phone in the event of an alarm or motion detect event...a GPS tracking device installed in an inconspicuous place on equipment...a brace of lean mean Dobermans or Rottweillers living in aforementioned building during unoccupied hours...hungry ones! And a nice comfortable bed for you to sleep in each night on the premises
with a handy night table to lay your racked and ready 12 ga pump shotgun and 45 auto on...yup I think that would do it!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I can tell you used, dull and worn is more theft resistant than brand new and shiny, locked or not.

As for proven, there are levels of deterrence we can implement, the higher level the deterrent the safer it is, but absolutely nothing is 100% safe and a solid chain and padlock stops most of it for starters... We're talking I think 90% of all thefts are crimes of opportunity, meaning it was in the heat of the moment, had the piece that got stolen not been exactly where it was at a certain time then it would not have ever disappeared, that type of thing.

The other 10% is planned theft, and as far as these go if someone wants it bad enough it's gone.
It is here where a higher level of deterrence may slow down a few more percent, but once we stop the first 90% or so the rest gets into a nit picky grey area. Not saying it's not possible to reduce theft beyond certain margins, it's just the cost rises astronomically for every little bit of added security at that point.

I mean, we can always hire mercenaries, right?

But for starters, lock e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. up!

That's how I see it.

Last edited by topsites; 04-28-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Sponsor

Lock and chain

The lock and chain is what started it for me. It was not enough...not even close. It took the thief less than 2 min. to steal the trailer and that included hooking up to his pickup. All of this within 80 feet of a road that had 900 vehicles passing in the day. The same road has 4500 vehicles a day now. So the chain and padlock may have a place but alone...no contest. 20 seconds or less for the chain alone. Just describing the event I know about....when I lost my trailer to a thief. Ken
Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its proven.. Since they have been installed. Everything stays in its place, nothing has walked away
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Sponsor

2 or more is best

I had a German Shepherd a while back. It took weeks to find a dog that would be safe around my son...yet be protective. I found one...then took the dog to a trainer. I paid 50 dollars for the dog and the trainer wanted 600 for training. I said OK and paid.... 12 weeks of training... protection...attack...hand signals the whole deal. Every time I came back to see how things were coming along he would make me an offer for the dog. At the end of 12 weeks the price I was offered was $3500.00 and my $600 back. Should have taken it but what I learned was that one dog alone...a good trainer can beat but when trained as a pair...no way. $3500 was a very good price but when the trainer paired the dog up with another dog......he got $15,000 each or $30,000 for the pair and taught the dogs all commands in a foreign language...OH well I have learned some things the hard way and some times it has cost me not to think things all the way through. Ken