Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2001, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

48" Scag or 48" Exmark ?

I am new to this site and have been searching the archives for the past few days finding a ton of great information. I am in the market to purchase a 48" walk behind (belt driven) in the next couple of weeks. A few dealers have some good deals on a some left overs from last year. My question is I have th choice between a 48" Scag or a 48" Exmark Metro. Now I know this comes down to prefernce most of the time but I wanted to throw it out there anyway. Mower will be used to do about 10 lawns a week to start adn then we will see what happens. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2001, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have used both machined quite a bit. Both made very good quality walkbehind that will give you very little problems. It all comes down to quality of cut. While exmarks give a super clean cut without clumping and without straglers scag is just the opposite. Scag will clump in even moist conditions and just do not dischare as well even in ideal conditions. Scag also just dosnt give that smooth finished look as the exmark does.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe they cut both about the same IMO. I give similiar advice to buying a snowplow as I do power equipment. Good advice is to find a dealer who is good and works with you and buy from him. No sense going miles for a product and then needing to always go there for parts and such.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my vote 48 Scag or 52 Turf tracer. another choice 48 Lesco w15
kawi I have a 52 Lesco w 14 Kawi bought in 1996. No problems.
price of Lesco about the same. Straford, Stamford, and Woodbury are choices. If your choice is a hung deck than the Metro hp is a choice. Ed
Old 01-02-2002, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Email deason, he has the 48" exmark metro.

I would go with the exmark for many reason. The customer support from the factory is second to none.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the Scag ultimate 48 hydro w kawa 17hp and love it. Have had it 2 years and have had no problems. The quality of the cut is great also. It does seem to clump in wet tall grass but if it is cut on regular basis then there is no problem. I would go with the hydro rather than the belt drive. It works a lot easier.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

This past season, I borrowed a friends SCAG 48" Belt Drive 17 HP WB. This unit was only about a season old and only had 100 hours on it. I needed to do a ONE TIME mow for a real estate agent and needed to use 2 WB to be efficient to get the job done before a client came to look at the property( I only owned one). I had my worker take care of the back, I took care of the front. When we were done and were loading equipment back on the trailer, we looked back at the property we just tended to and the SCAG's area looked like @#$%^&*. The front turned out beautiful, perfect stripes, no clumps..just the way it should look. Had my worker go over the back again with the SCAG, and with this SECOND cut, it turned out much better. Yes everything was level, sharp, proper speed and so on. I cut the front with my late 80's 48" 12.5 HP belt drive RANSOMES. It had a far superior cut than the ALMOST NEW SCAG. This was my only experience with the SCAG products, but for a first impression, I was not impressed. Just my opinon. GOOD LUCK in your decision.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:12 PM
Banned

eXMARK

bUY AN eXMARK ,BUT i DON'T AGREE THAT THEIR CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS SECOND TO NONE ,i KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIANCE , THEY MAY NOT MAKE THE BEST PRODUCT BUT IN MY EXPERIANCE nOBODY STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT MORE THAN sNAPPER , NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG ,i ONLY USE THEIR 21'S BUT THEY HAVE BEEN MORE CUSTOMER FRIENDLY THAN ANY COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH!i RUN eXMARKS BUT I WOULD BUY A SNAPPER HYDRO WALKBEHIND JUST AS FAST AS I WOULD AN EXMARK
Old 02-02-2002, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I have both an exmark metro 48 and a scag hydro 48. The scag i have is much easeir to operate because it is a hydro so i can't really comment on that comparison, but as far as cut the exmark is hands down the better mower. The scag won't stripe as well and leaves a sloppy cut compared with the exmark. The scag is a tough mower but I also have a 17 year old exmark that is still going strong (with a new motor) so don't discount exmarks longevity. I would buy the exmark.