Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What does an organic tree and shrub program look like

I have more and more people ask me if I could include a tree and shrub program. What exactly does an organic tree and shrub program look like? CT and more CT? Maybe a certain kind for certain diseases insects?

What kind of pump, hose, and gun do I need to be able to reach a medium sized tree, about 20' tall, you know, small enough to point out needing treating continuously but at the same time tall enough that I need a jet stream to reach? I know larger trees will need work but I am just talking about your average program.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Pretty broad question and arborist are a pretty secretive bunch about what they use. Trees, woody's, shrubs and perrenials prefer a fungal dominated soil we try to promote fungi by using more complex foods, mycorrhizae and in our programs we use known microorganisms.

They use drenches, soil injections, tree injections and foliars. Some of the pumps and PSI's are pretty heavy duty, they have to reach 60 to 80 feet into the canopy for foliars. Soil injections are very common and is typically done in a checkerboard fashion around the drip line
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

what about bushes? Most of the customers are mainly concerned about keeping their bushes healthy. I had one ask about some magnolias that were about 20' tall that were looking a little scraggly. I figured that a few treatments with some CT would probably whip them back in shape along with maybe pumping it into the roots. My dad use to have a cemetary and used a "T" bar that was hooked to a hose to help settle the dirt in freshly dug graves. I know the soil was A LOT softer being it was just dug up but is this the type of tool that would be used for the injections?

Or is this way out of my league? Maybe I can keep to the easier stuff and sub out what the more complex areas such as soil injections. For the most part bushes seem to take care of themselves. All the customers that have inquired about the service have healthy bushes, one has some azaleas that aren't blooming but I can figure that out, so for the most part they want to make sure the bushes stay healthy with ferts and what not.

Am I wrong in thinking CT will accomplish this for the most part organicly?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You are right on track CT especially with mycorrhizae added is an excellent soil injection.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

DGL, don't over analyze landscape care or jump to the conclusion that if a plant is looking bad CT will fix it. There are many other factors that could result in plant decline/looking bad that has nothing to do with the soil directly.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

well, these are just crappy magnolias that the developers keep planting 5' from the fence. This always pisses me off in that you see a mature magnolia and they are about 20' if not more in diameter. I am sure they are also hurting from the lack of water the previous season. They don't look "bad" just don't look great either. Like I said, if I can't seem to get it under control or it is out of my hands I have no problem bringing in outside more experienced help. They will be closely followed and watched though, everyone sees these times as a great opportunity to steal customers. I just want them to do a service, be paid, and go away. Do that and I will keep bringing you in, don't and you just lost a lot of money in the long run. That is what I love about my maintenance company. They stick to what they do and I am sure I am now their main source of new customers.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/405991.htm

I know, I know, it's cheap, small, and will have to be refilled a lot. I am sorry if it is a slap to the face for someone like yourself Treegal, but... would this be feesible to use as a start up system for tree apps? Using CT? I looked at an injection system and it was about $2000 but it was pretty high tech and suppose to be easy to use.

Also, does anyone have any ideas of what I might can put this system on to make it more mobile other than an ATV or mower? I don't know what it might be.

Treegal, you said a air hose would work for the regular apps, is there a hose big enough and long enough to supply what I need from something like this? I think the tank itself is plenty big enough, it won't take long to refill and as I said it would mainly be used for the larger trees. Not a full grown oak or anything but a 20' tall magnolia, cypress, etc.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Kiril, Thanks you are right, many environmental factors will contribute to tree and shrub decline. I didn't mean to sound like CT was the only thing

It takes a trained and experienced eye
Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, but you don't just wake up one morning and know all. You have to aquire that experience. I could go work for companies my whole life trying to gain experience, OR... I could start my own company, do what I can, and bring in outside help and then gain more experience by working with them. But, as far as a preventitive, healthy plant, treatment program, from what I understand, CT is about as good as it gets.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A healthy plant is a happy plant.