Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hahaha

OK, I treated my first lawns today with my organic "earthy" smelling fertilizer. Earthy, yeah, that somehow doesn't really fit what I would call it. I treated my in-laws homes. My mother/father-n-law have woods in their back yard and said they thought there was a rotting animal out there. My brother/sister-n-law said they were checking all the trash cans and looking up and down the street, finally put it off as a sewage problem somewhere on the street. As I was wrapping up my own lawn my neighbor from two houses down came out and asked what the h*$# that awful smell was. I said I was sorry but I had forgotten to take a shower that day. Something about his face told me he wasn't planning on going organic any time soon.

Any suggestions on how to get the smell covered in some way?

Most everyone I talked to about it said that as long as it was gone the next day they didn't care. I am just going to have to make sure that I make it clear to my customers that the smell is not exactly pleasant when I treat and give them a heads up before I show up. I still think it may be hard to pick up new customers who are neighbors though. We will see.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, at first I thought it might have smelled a little like butter scotch, but I don't like the stuff so I am probably getting it confused with something else. Now I like to relate it to the beach, like if your in a bay and there is a lot of fishing around there or if the seaweed is really bad. That is pretty close to the best way of describing it I think.

I thing Treegal said something about the dogs being interested in it which kind of worried me but for the most part they could have cared less. The fert that I am using, not the ICT, was a NASTY brown goop. I thought it was going to be more liquid. What a mess it made. But I guess you live and learn.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Member

What exactly are you using that smells so bad?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use a couple of different products. One of which is ICT Bills product, but that isn't the one that I use. The fert I use is what smells, I think it has a lot of fish oils or something, it's nasty stuff though. And boy does it make a mess.

contains fish solubles, a rich source of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. It also contains specially selected cold water kelp concentrate, another rich source of potassium along with micronutrients, stress relieving hormones and chelating agents. The combination of fish and kelp creates an all-purpose fertilizer that can be conveniently applied to the soil or directly on plants as a foliar spray.

Last edited by DeepGreenLawn; 06-10-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Use more water when applying to dilute the smell, if you move to 3 to 5 gallons per 1000 it will help alot. vanilla will also absorb a lot of the odor as well if tank mixed with other

Kelp and fish can have a very strong odor especially when spraying when its hot. Some fish products have a lot of oil in them, it is the fish oil that has most of the smell
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
vanilla will also absorb a lot of the odor as well if tank mixed with other
other what? regular vanilla? I will have to look into this. I was talking to the inlaws last night at dinner and my little sister-n-law who is 10 said to throw perfume in it. My older sister-n-law said "yeah, then you will have flowery smelling s^*t"
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep plain old vanilla really absorbs odors

If you use more water as a carrier you will be fine
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

if I lower my mixing rate will I have to apply more? Or will I get the same effect? Right now I am using one and a half of jugs of your product per 200gal tank. Maybe drop back to 1 per 200 gal? I am using 5 gal of my fert.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The idea is to use lots of water with the application. It may slow you down a little but you'll get better results and less smell. Maybe you will have to fill up again half way through the day.

That's the great thing about Mix and Spray in the field, just take the carton with you and fill up while your eating lunch

It was hard for me to realize at first that the water is just a carrier for the microbes. If you apply at 2 gallons per 1000 or 5 Gallons per 1000 the same amount of biology is going into the same area. Compost Tea applications are supposed to be more towards soil drenches, not really a spray til light drip application

Just adjust the dilution rates accordingly
Old 06-10-2008, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know if your familiar with these or not but I have the typical spray nozzle on my lesco space saver. It doesn't put out much liquid period. Is there a way I can increase my volume? I would think it would be hard with the size hose, it has a 3/4" hose I think.