Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

fescue vs. bluegrass

I am having sod placed and my relatives and my lawn guy recommend fescue. I live in Missouri where the summers can get hot and humid. the yard is new, so there will be little shade for half the day on each side of the lawn.....in other words, the morning, the backyard is shady and the front is sunny and towards the evening, the reverse is true......i will most likely be placing an irrigation system.....i have a 3 year old daughter who loves to play in the yard and a small dog.....Is fescue really that much better than bluegrass? It would cost me an extra 1000-1500 to place fescue over bluegrass, and I'm just not sure it is worth the extra price? Will bluegrass wither and die and get disease on me? I will have a lawn guy placing fertilizer and bug control products throughout the seasons.
Thanks for any suggestions!!!
jay412
Old 06-11-2008, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I am concerened a good hybrid bluegrass mix will give a great lawn. and should stand up to the heat. Here is what I would do I would not just listen to my lawn guy but do some research. Start by talking to sevral highly respected nurseries and explain to them what your needs are going to be for the lawn. Also remember that When looking for sod use a highly repected nursery for it or supplier.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Around here..Tall fescue sod is about 85/15 percent mixed with blue to hold it together. Tall fescue (turf type) tends to get MUCH more disease problems than Blue. While it only tends to get a few (brown patch) issues..they are generally severe. Tf requires less water and less fertilizer than blue. Blue will recover from damage MUCH faster than TF. Tf is known to be SLOW to repair itself. My preference would be towards TF. PLease note...if your "lawn guy" is in the (guesstimate) 80% of guys who know very little, none of this will matter....too much fert or water will make it grow way too much and lead to summer dieases that will make you question your decision.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If your lawn guy is good.....why can't he seed with a mixture of several Tf, B, and rye grass varieties.....so you have the very best of everything?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
If your lawn guy is good.....why can't he seed with a mixture of several Tf, B, and rye grass varieties.....so you have the very best of everything?
That sounds like the best way to go to me.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Sponsor

It is easier to put down bluegrass (less cost), will look good for 2-3 years, then overseed with Fescue when the time comes. If you have irrigation and don't mind watering, go with the bluegrass.

Benefit of Fescue the fact it take much less water to look good, but will require over seeding every few years.

Benefit of Blue Grass: softer and finer blades, easy to put down and costs less.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

KBG is ok with heat if it is cut long and the roots are allowed to grow deep, leave the clippings on the lawn. Don't run the mower over the ground when it is wet, in that it compacts the soil unnecessarily. The root zone needs to dry out a bit in between waterings. Excessive fertilizing - especially at the wrong time will keep roots shallow and subject to disease.
Like was already stated. You can always overseed with fescue. I like Creeping Red myself, but whatever works best in your area.