Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2002, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Equipment Repair Business

As a business owner, I'm always looking for that certain niche in the market to make some real money. Did a search last night thru my local 15 lb yellow pages and ran across these numbers: In my area I have aprox. 650 LISTED yellow page landscapers and only 25 LISTED repair facilities for outdoor power equipment. I've noticed that the POWER EQUIPMENT store that I deal with is ALWAYS backlogged with repairs. Could I be missing out on an opportunity? Just for ha ha's today..I called about 10 LISTED power equipment stores and asked them their hourly rate....average of $60.00 per hour! Not to shabby. Sure you have rent to deal with and other expenses, but the market is not saturated (Look at it this way..add 10 more landscapers to the yellow pages and it would be like finding that needle in the haystack, add 1 more power equipment store listing and you will at least be noticed). I did a search on this topic and the only thread I could find was about a year ago. This person was talking about a MOBILE repair facility to go to a homeowner or a contractors shop to repair equipment "ON-SITE". This sound like a great idea. You could purchase one of those CAB OVER LANDSCAPER BOX Vehicles and set up your entire shop inside! Just a thought and ALL comments are welcome for this post! Thanks Again!
Old 01-09-2002, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a service in our area that delivers the blades, trimmer line and some parts that we need. Sure beats going in to a shop for these items. He even gives us a credit for turning in the empty spools. I'm not certain if he does repairs, since we have about 6 mechanics, we have that covered.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Another added thought was that how many times during the day something breaks and all you keep thinking about is "I've got to get to the store before it closes at 5pm!---How about AFTER HOURS repairs? It may be a fact that the lawncare professionals day may end at sundown, that would be when this business opens! At least have a EMERGENCY AFTER HOURS RATE for any service calls after 7 pm. Just a thought...
Old 01-09-2002, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once i get my new shop built, I will have 2 full time mechanics on duty.

My niche for it will be service till 9pm.

But like you said they charge $60+ an hour, they also have to have a shop big enough to hold lots of parts so you pay for their storage and invintory.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a full time mechanic, you will have to cater to the smaller outfits that do not have the resources to maintain their own equipment. How many of them in the phone book do not have their own mechanics? They only thing we send out is warranty work which doesn't cost us a dime!
Old 01-09-2002, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

G.Williams, I have already started doing this myself.

For some reason the shouldn't let non machanicly incliend people get in this biz.

I have a few that come to me after hours to fix their equipment, fortunaly I have many parts in stock. Mostly for my own back up parts, but they use them more than I.

Here we have close to 1000 or so just in the lawn care section, and very few have a machanic.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the year that I have been in this business, I have built a great relationship with my dealer. Stop by his house just to shoot the breeze, stop by his shop all the time, in fact today, him and I took a 2 hour ride up to Green Bay to pick up a piece of equipment for him to service (it's an old good friend of his), plus we got to check out the progress on the renovation of Lambeau Field. He's been in business for 13 years. He sells eXmark, Wright, and Simplicity, along with everything else as far as hand tools. Has 2 full time mechanics and a couple helper kids and his wife works there also.
Anyways, the moral to the story is he lives the same lifestyle as you and I. He's not getting rich, but living an average middle class lifestyle. The next closest eXmark dealer is an hour and a half any direction. The reason there are 100's of landscapers around is because there are 100's of 1000's of people needing that work. The reason there are so few dealers is because they can more than handle the amount of service work needed in the area for the amount of landscapers. Get my point. It is all the same as far as ratios of needed services for desired businesses and the amount of customer demand. He racks his brain and tries every angle to promote business just like you and I. The grass is not greener on their side. If you doubt me, I will give you his number and you can chat all you want with him.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanelle
. I'm not certain if he does repairs, since we have about 6 mechanics, we have that covered.
Wow ! You must have one huge operation ! We have one part time and another few employees that are just really "handy".
We can't justify a full time one ... I just finished reading a interesting article about this... they opened a shop next door to their operation. This way they had their own mechanics and also kept them busy in slow times...Worked out very well for them and made some money too.