Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2002, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Laptops

Does anyone have a laptop they bring along on the job? I was thinking of buying one, maybe even add a printer to print invoices while I was on the job. Nowadays there are a myriad of them for around 1k, sounding more and more like a time saving estimate to me. Any suggestions?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Computer in truck

This fall i was checked by a Agriculture and Land Stewardship person that was checking certification for applicators. Thank god thats all he was looking for, he mentioned that next time he would like to maybe see application records witch mine are sometimes hard to comprehend or lack thereof. Are there any good manufactures or suppliers of this kind of resourse where a LCO could print an invoice and keep chemical app. records on hand? this would probably help alot of people. :blob1:
Old 01-02-2002, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Greens Keeper

I am still in the dark ages and do this by hand in a loose leaf note book. I do have a check off sheet for customers and customer notes. I keep about 6 months of apply records with me so I can look back and see what was used last time or even before that.

Groundkeeper

Jim I just told how backward I am. Please bring us into the 21century one more time. Thanks

Oh! and be sure to add the part about the super ray gun that shoots Info back and forward so you do not have to even connect wires from house to trucks. Beam me up Scottie.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this what you want, Ric?

And I thought I had it from a good source that you kept data on palm leaves, written in mud. I guess you have jumped ahead with the new year.

And no ray gun, most newer computers and peripherals come with infrared capabilities, especially in the portable arena. But IR needs direct line of contact, like the TV remote, or a mirror system to conduct the IR from one device to the other. You can get wireless networks today, so the computer in the truck would not have to be removed. This might make it easier to secure the computer from theft - install it so even you need an hour to get it out. Then with wireless network, would just need to park truck where it would be able to communicate with the network. I think Ray Kirby had a setup like this a couple of months ago.
Attached Images

Last edited by GroundKprs; 01-02-2002 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lap top choices

My sister is in the IT dept at Wake Forest and they issue/sell IBM laptops to the professors and students. I believe it is currently an A21 they are using. They are working well and there are thousands in use and being toted in backpacks, bikes and autos.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Laptop Choices

Coming from the IT world, be cautious of the Compaq's, Stinkpads, Dells and Gateways. Toshiba makes a decent laptop that is afforably priced.

Compaq's can be real testy when not in the convenince base (especially when installing new software). Tons of bootup chut down problems.

Dells, Gateways and Stinkpads all notorious for flimsy keyboards.

Stinkpads of which I have 2 (560 and 390E got them dirt cheap) have a poor hard drive design. Can cause performance to lag as the HD does not cool well. Also, notorious for the battery chargers to go bad and poor battery life.

All is only my opinion.

Good Luck!!

Jeff

Here we go Steelers, here we go!!!
Old 01-05-2002, 02:29 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Apple is what i use i love my powerbook
Old 01-05-2002, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My entry level Fujitsu Lifebook with CD burner has been great for 1 year straight now. I use it in the office also, don't have a desktop at all anymore.

My wife hates it though cuz I can work anywhere!!
Old 01-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Banned

you can look into refurbished laptops for around $400 which is truly a great buy. the $1000 dollar pieces your looking at have all the useless crap your p.c. has ie media player and such). get one that can handle clip and office xp maybe upgrade to at least a pentium 3 900mhz. pick up a printer crap i have 3 lexmark z22 in my office corner there like $42 bucks. avoid palms there not what you need. look around for small companies that build computers they have a ton of stuff like this
Old 01-11-2002, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

GREAT IDEA!

I use a toshiba 660dt for design-routing-dial up to main@the office and of course surfing. It was a great escape for me, since I amd the owner, to get out of the office and to somplace more relaxing to like the park to design installs, prepare proposals. My suggestion is if you plan on NETWORKING(intranet) and you don't have the first clue about it, get with a local comp. repair/build shop.

I went to a guy down the street from our office and he set up the office comp. to network internaly with the laptop. What a great toll to make life easier( I THINK).

realdon99 @ NHLS