Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2002, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Doing zero turns with a single-drive walk behind...

I have a Ferris SD 36" walk-behind (SD meaning single drive hyd.) My question is , when I do zero turns, I do this by forward motion, and holding the brake on one side, am I putting too much stress on my machine(transmission)? I am assuming that a DD(Dual-drive) has two transmissions, one for each side, so you could do zero turns without using the brake on one side?(not sure on this...)

This is my first walk-behind, not to mention my first hydrostatic, so this question may be an easy one.

Thanks for any help..........
Old 01-02-2002, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few hours behind the handlebars of a Woods (Ferris clone) single drive. It does not hurt the transaxle in any way to lock one wheel up while the other is rotating. In fact you can have one wheel turning forward while the other turns backwards.

Old 01-02-2002, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

My understanding...

I thought you could have one wheel go forward and one go back only on the dual drive models,(like a skid-steer..?), but not with a single drive unit........Thanks for the reply....
Old 01-02-2002, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since the brakes on mine didn't work (bought it used, no dealers anywhere near me) I had to learn how to operate it without the use of the brakes. It you give it a slight bit of forward motion and then pull backwards on one of the handlebars you can get one wheel to go forward while the other one goes backward. It's not as hard to do as it sounds and with a little bit of trial and effort you can do lots of stuff with a SD mower. If you slow down as you enter a turn and pull on the handlebar of the side you are turning to you don't even need the brakes and the mower will just whip right around.

Old 01-02-2002, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On a Ferris SD you use the brakes to make your turns. It has 1 hydrostatic transmission, turns on the inside wheel. On a duel drive hydrostatic, it has a true zero turning radius, meaning you could turn one wheel forwards and one backwards.

On the Ferris DD it has (2) two hydro trannies, a sealed low pressure system, it does not have actual brakes but a pin that locks the tranny up. You do not use it to turn.

On the Ferris SD it has (1) Hydro tranni, (2) two disk brakes, (1) one on each wheel, you use the brakes to make the machine turn.

Each of these configurations are made the way their made and neither will hurt the machines if you turn.

The Ferris SD is an inexpensive hydro unit. It is designed to run like a hydro and turn like a belt drive.

Richard: that's a lot of extra work, I'm surprized you haven't fixed that yet.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As Richard said, it shouldn't hurt the transmission to stop one wheel...You may have noticed if you ever get stuck, one wheel stops, and the other takes all of the power...If you have both the wheels jacked up off the ground, one will go foward, and one will go backward (unless you have a differential lock). Thus, it should not hurt the tranny.

Ryan
Old 01-02-2002, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all that replied, this has put my mind at ease...
Old 01-02-2002, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LawnGodFather wrote:
Richard: that's a lot of extra work, I'm surprized you haven't fixed that yet.

Well ,as I explained there were no dealers near me. It really wasn't that big of a deal to turn it without brakes anyway. I sold the mower (it was a 1990 model) in 2000 for $750 and it's still cutting grass for a LCO.

Old 01-02-2002, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't it tear up the lawn when you brake to turn?
Old 01-02-2002, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

tear up....

It does tear up the lawn if you completely lock one of the wheels, but if you just slow one side down, you shouldn't tear it up to badly(not a true zero turn then...)