Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet 33 In. Wide Area Cut Walk Behind Mower

Does anyone have any experience with this mower? I used to mow commercially but have since sold all my mowers. Just bought a house and looking for something with commercial quality cut but not the commercial quality price tag. I'll just be mowing my yard, but it has a huge hill in the back. This model runs for about $1200. Any other good brands in this price range similar to it?

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

The Cub, Troy Bilt & Craftsman are all the "same" mower, made by MTD.
The Cub has key start, Craftsman doesn't.

I would look for a nice used walkbehind. I got a used Bunton hydro for $400 and used It for 2 years with no problems.

Look on www.craigslist.com for used stuff.

Horsepower Lawns LLC
Noblesville, IN
www.horsepowerlawns.com
Old 06-13-2008, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same in a Troy-bilt version.It is OK to start out with and it has a decent cut.But the handles always pinched my fingers when I pushed down on the levers.Very good I think to use as a backup mower so that you do not have $2-3k always sitting around and not being used.For only a couple of lawns it will be good but will not have the durability.Also wait till Craftsman club days it will be on sale for $999.00.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't own one but the Quick36 from betteroutdoorproducts.com gets great reviews. As a homeowner it would last you a very long time and the prices range from about $2000-$3000.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cub cadet/craftsman/troy bilt 33 is a piece. The cut is terrible. Uncut grass everywhere. Blades have no lift. Everything on the machine comes loose including the engine. Handles fall apart. Other than that mine has lasted me 10 years, and I still use it on some yards because of it's small size. But the cut is bad, bad, bad, no matter how sharp the blades are. I need a real 32", I actually have a gravely 32" but that is a freaking tank for the yards I need it for.

When I get the funds I'll buy a quickie 32 or quick 36. You should look into it, though I hear it is not the greatest on hills. It is compact single hydro and I want it because of it's small size and reverse.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD
Old 06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Cub is definitely not a commercial mower but should be fine for you.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this is the mower I am thinking of I owned the troybuilt version years ago. It was my first "commercial" mower for about a two days. I would mow 2-3 small in city lawns with it and then the drive belt for the wheels would heat up, stretch, and fall off the pulley

I took it back and got my money back. I then drove to my Toro dealer and bought a real commercial mower. That little toro walk behind lasted forever and took some serious abuse as my first mower.

I imagine MTD in the years since then has corrected the serious design flaw present in when I owned the mower, but the fact that they sold such a defective product in the first place says a lot about the company.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenred View Post

I imagine MTD in the years since then has corrected the serious design flaw present in when I owned the mower, but the fact that they sold such a defective product in the first place says a lot about the company.
its MTD. what do you expect?

link to wreck thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258500&page=8

for sale:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...38#post3380138
Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura to the max View Post
its MTD. what do you expect?
Sadly now that I am older and wiser - not much.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of the original Troy-Bilt prototypes (my buddy gave it to me to try-he worked for Troy-Bilt).The worst part was the plastic geared pulleys.As long as you did not hit something it was OK.But the blades overlapped and belt was cogged and you had to but it on 90 degrees opposed.The cut was not good on the super fine grasses but seemed OK on other grasses.I hope it has improved in the 15 years or so that I have had mine but for homeowner use it was great.And still is.