Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Help for a new guy

I am very new to lawn care - have only taken care of my yard. The industry that I currently work in is very volatile and I feel that I am close to being laid off. My wife and I have always wanted to start a business and we noticed that there are no organic lawn care services offered in our town. I have been doing reading on organic lawn care and have run from the idea of a Spray Green franchise. I am brewing my own compost tea for the first time on Monday as I do more research. But, is there anywhere I can take classes or receive training on organic lawn care so I can become proficient enough to start an organic lawn care business? Thanks for any suggestions you might have for a new guy.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you are in probably the best classroom you can find right now. Look through the old threads and study up. There are reading materials that people recommend. I started a post a while ago "back to the basics." I asked a TON of questions earlier this year and pissed some people off. I then posted what I learned in an easy understandable way for someone like yourself. Check it out, it is just what it is, the basics. There is a link below.

Other than that, just keep studying. Your getting in at the wrong time of the season. Everyone has found their company for the year but if you advertise right not everyone likes their company. And the organics is a good nack to put yourself above everyone else.

Good luck,

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ghlight=basics
Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I am only a 2 hour drive away, the door is always open, every wed nite we give FREE classes

just east of the lake, stuart fl, we just set another LCO up in broward, he loves it. theres nothing to buy, we are not sales people, no products.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Treegal, you are unbelievable. I plan on coming down some time. How far are you from the beach?

Tryingtobe, you don't know how LUCKY you are to be so close to her. If I were you I would be there every week.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
I am only a 2 hour drive away, the door is always open, every wed nite we give FREE classes

just east of the lake, stuart fl, we just set another LCO up in broward, he loves it. theres nothing to buy, we are not sales people, no products.
Wow you can't beat that.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should read statute 482 http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...2/titl0482.htm

There is a link to it.

Any way before you get to crazy and buy stuff for business, you need to be sure that you can get licensed to spray in FL and in your county.

Good Luck and great job looking for and finding an under-utilized resource in our state!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

don't worry there's an extension service near us they can get you expedited licensing, training, compliance help. also that's a pest control lic, there's several different lic. types. just pay/test and play. we did a little trial, we let some kids study the test prep, then we quiz-ed them, trust me a 9 year old could pass!!!! its no harder than going to the DMV and there are no long lines.

also, wheres the statutes on compost and tea(no claims made) most of us have stop-ed the killings and learned to grow great plants. not spray death.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
don't worry there's an extension service near us they can get you expedited licensing, training, compliance help. also that's a pest control lic, there's several different lic. types. just pay/test and play. we did a little trial, we let some kids study the test prep, then we quiz-ed them, trust me a 9 year old could pass!!!! its no harder than going to the DMV and there are no long lines.

also, wheres the statutes on compost and tea(no claims made) most of us have stop-ed the killings and learned to grow great plants. not spray death.
So essentially you make no claim with your product? You just offer to spray tea and other organics (sprinkled/spread/sprayed) because it works and has no adverse effects on unwanted (weed) growth and pest life? You just don't answer those questions if and when asked? Otherwise 482 covers that stuff as well if it is being used for weeds in any way or insect control in any way.

I think, if I am wrong I am sorry if not, than at least you know a way to properly license this guy and keep him legit.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yep and like you said 482 covers it!! and who licenses my left and right, they kill weeds by the thousands, whats the label requirements there
Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

really, this thread has been gone over and beat to death again and again

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=232210
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2346398