Register free!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
yep and like you said 482 covers it!! and who licenses my left and right, they kill weeds by the thousands, whats the label requirements there
If you are hand pulling weeds and bermuda that grows like crazy in the beds, that is awesome.

What do you do about mites/thrips/aphids and all the other creepy crawlys out there? Are they basically manageable without pesticides? I am not trying to be a smart @@@ I am truly curious as to how this stuff is dealt with?

I just found the links in your last post. You can ignore this if you like.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the bermuda in the beds can be controlled for the most part by good cutural practices. Edge your beds with the edger you use on the driveway. It will cut any under and above growth keeping it out. Other than that, if you have a healthy bed the stuff takes a minute but you can get it out, especially if your beds are in good condition like mine.

There are other products and practices that are more or less the "good ole boy/girl" approach. Soapy water agitates this, and this will do that.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
the bermuda in the beds can be controlled for the most part by good cutural practices. Edge your beds with the edger you use on the driveway. It will cut any under and above growth keeping it out. Other than that, if you have a healthy bed the stuff takes a minute but you can get it out, especially if your beds are in good condition like mine.

There are other products and practices that are more or less the "good ole boy/girl" approach. Soapy water agitates this, and this will do that.
I edge all of my beds, the bermuda grows in the middle of the mulch (Stone and lava rock mulch is the worst). The stuff is unstoppable! Until my license gets here, I have my customers buy and keep jugs of round-up in some place that I can get to it so I can spray what-ever is in the beds. Some do some don't so once I have my limited commercial license in hand and can carry and use my own mixes, I will be using NuFarms ProDeuce on the unmulched areas and in my areas with mulch, it will be Snapshot after a good blanket killing with the round-up.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know where your coming from, I have a rock bed in my front yard, I was able to eradicate the bermuda before I put it down and have kept it out since. I am in no way saying it is not a pain in the a$$. I am "organic-based" so that there allows me to use traditional products in situations such as these.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

lets see, fire, lady bugs,ant lions,crickets. and lets just go hypothetical, if some one dumped crap all over your world would you be into staying around, we did not do it to repel or fertilize, we spread compost to level the high spots. look at the bags of compost in the local store. there's one that's says helps soil fertility, it has a label, the others ( same product) says nothing and there's no label. lady bugs look cool,ant lions turn into dragon flies, crickets make noise. are those regulated. and a limited app lic??? no tank spray for you??? well we don't spray tea we apply it.to hold in the moisture

and rocks are hard to keep clean, test the pH and see if theres a reason
Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I am only a 2 hour drive away, the door is always open, every wed nite we give FREE classes

just east of the lake, stuart fl, we just set another LCO up in broward, he loves it. theres nothing to buy, we are not sales people, no products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
Treegal, you are unbelievable. I plan on coming down some time. How far are you from the beach?

Tryingtobe, you don't know how LUCKY you are to be so close to her. If I were you I would be there every week.
Treegal,

I will absoulutely take you up on your offer. Thank you. How can I get in touch with you? My e-mail adress is listed in my profile I believe. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
You should read statute 482 http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...2/titl0482.htm

There is a link to it.

Any way before you get to crazy and buy stuff for business, you need to be sure that you can get licensed to spray in FL and in your county.

Good Luck and great job looking for and finding an under-utilized resource in our state!
tamadrummer,

Thanks for the link. I have already been in contact with the Dept. of Ag. I am looking at a couple of options - looking for someone with an L&O or petitioning the state since many organic products don't "kill weeds or bugs". I am still early in the process so any additional advice will be read and greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well here it goes, we already do 700+ emails

laurastree@bellsouth.net

we do need to talk your on a very similar path with the MAN...
Old 06-14-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
well here it goes, we already do 700+ emails

laurastree@bellsouth.net

we do need to talk your on a very similar path with the MAN...
Thank you treegal. I will be in touch soon.

Which MAN?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, your the WOMAN, so who is the MAN? Is that the MR. WOMAN? Or is there more than one THE MAN?