Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-03-2002, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

prospecting for more business

I have been out looking for more business. This is my fifth year of operation. My first year i acquired a small chain of convenience stores. This was just the right amount of work for my business at the time. Unfortunately, last fall that chain went under. I have been unsucessful at landing anymore new business. All the big boys seem to have the real estate management companies business. I have called a few of these management companies but i cannot seem to get any farther than a brief conversation. I offer all services that the other companies do, so I guess it might be a matter of these guys getting lots of calls from johnnie start ups every spring. It looks like i will have to do some walk in sales marketing at the varous industrial business parks that are around. I do have a few residentials but they are mostly in a moderate income area. I have hung fliers on doors and advertised in the local paper but my response has only been very low. Does anyone have any pointers on how i can get more contracts in the commercial market and how to better advertise my services?
Old 01-03-2002, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Companies usually will not entertain a cold call.
The gen. manager or maintenance mgr. will get bid from previous bidders and maybe a few out of the phone book who seem to fit their situation. If you don't have a block in the book, the bigger ones won't give you the time of day. Maybe you should focus on smaller owner occupied establishments.
One thing to remember with larger properties is that they usually require a few million in liability insurance. They may want several properties done in a 1 or 2 county area. And you will need to be able to offer all services. (mowing, mulching,plantings,plowing)