Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2002, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Chipping Brush Pile For Mulch

My Brother just moved onto 5 acres of land and there are some large brush piles left from the previous people. He is planning on burning all the piles but there is some decent sized branches/logs in the pile and so I got the idea of renting a chipper and mulching the larger stuff, in hopes of being able to use it for my clients. Is the mulch I will get from this going to be good for anything or will it pretty much be garbage that no body will want on thier propery? I have prices for Pine Bark mulch and Cypress mulch and if I can get a quality comprible to these than it is worth my time, but I am not sure if I can get this quality. Please help with any insight you may have.

Thank You
Jeremy
Old 01-03-2002, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't recommend using chips from a chipper as mulch for residential or commercial landscapes. The chips will definately be as presentable as even a low grade "recycled" mulch.
You may be able to use the chips for beds closer to wooded areas on your brothers property, but thats about it.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use chipper chips under the kids swingset. They get dumped late winter while the ground is still frozen, by late fall its covered with mushrooms and the next step to dirt.

Just chip it up and as for the chips just pile em up in the back of the lot, within 2 years there will be nothing left but a small hump.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I sub out my chipper work and was told not bother with dead wood. I have thrown dead branches into the chipper while clearing an area to get rid of them and most of the time they break into short peices when entering the feed rolls just to make a mess to fork into the truck.

Gene
Old 01-06-2002, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I know we wouldn't be in this business if we were scared of hard work,but pulling limbs from piles and running them through the chipper by hand can be an extremely hard days work. Less trouble to buy mulch. Also it is my understanding that alot of commercially available mulches are treated for termites. Wouldn't want to use recycled close to house for fear of infestation.

my 2 cents
Dave
Old 01-07-2002, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

2 good points from above.
One termites....the second mushrooms.
Not only is recyled mulch a harbor for termites but numerous insects which can spread into other plants when used as a mulch.

Mushrooms which are a sign of fungus can also be an indication of something much more serious. The point being that old mulch is not so good when spread around new plantings.

Now we incorporate our old mulch in with grass clippings, leaves, etc which over a period of time provides a great compost and enriched soil. This stuff will also sell for a premium in the right area so I would say that recycled mulch has a value. I just don't think the value is in a decorative mulch.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I TRIED THIS BEFORE

I've done this before, I rented a chipper and the end result was not good. I should have just went and bought the mulch. By the time you take in consideration for the man hours you have to put in to chip, the #'s just don't add up. Beleave me just try to add them. 2 men x $20/hr = $40/hr plus whatever you rent the chipper for $125-250/day. Work a 10hr day thats $525-650/day.
Now you have to haul the mulch to the shop, then load it again for your client, and then pay to have the much spread out. There is no way this will ever work.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was told that the wood destroying insects prefer a solid wood over shredded wood. I don't know about anybody treating mulch and I don't think I would want to handle it if it was.

As far as the chipped wood, I would only use it along woodland borders. You would need a tub grinder to make mulch worth selling.