Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2000, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to this business and want to look very profesional. I was just wondering what some of you wore out to work. I have seen just about all of it to jeans to slacks, t-shirts to dress shirts. Personally I feel the slacks and dress shirts look better. But also a bit more costly. So any info to you guys can give to a new comer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chad
Old 01-16-2000, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear a nice looking and CLEAN t-shirt with my logo, company name, and phone #. I would hate to be wearing anything but a t-shirt on a 98 degree day. When it gets cold I wear jeans and a sweatshirt.
Old 01-16-2000, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

We currently wear putty (beige) Polo Shirts with black colored lettering and next to it a green tree logo, these are embroided on the left side of the shirt. The hats match, but without the tree and added the phone number on the back of the hat. <p>I just thought if you or your crew were at a fast food place. People would see you walk in first and the first thing they will see is your outfit, the front of your hat and your shirt &quot;Company name&quot;. Lets say you are standing on line, they can get the phone number off the back of your hat if customers are shy or don't have the time to talk to you or your crew. <p>If they are really interested and have the time to have a conversation with you, they will ask for your card. I don't like to show to many phone numbers repeated on my crew or my self. I think the Company Name is enough, Like I said before If customers are interested they will ask for a business card. Numbers and names are not to visible from far away, they will need to approach you and read your Company Name and ask for your card.<p>I'm sorry if I missed to say any other info. or I don't make sense. It getting late.
Old 01-16-2000, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hi, we went from a tee-shirt with sleeves and our Co. logo on it to tee-shirts with no sleeves last year. I saw some others doing this and I was constantly rolling my sleeves up so I decided it didn't look that bad, especiaally if everyone matches. I was amazed at the difference a sleeve made after we changed. I may go to a tank top next year for everybody. We had a very long stretch of 95+ temps here last summer so rather than running around with no shirts (like some I saw ) we opted to go sleeveless. As far as pants: i tried wearing the docker style but found they were a lot hotter on my legs than blue jeans. I won't wear shorts because of the rocks and debris flying off the trimmers and edgers.
Old 01-17-2000, 04:16 AM
LawnSite Member

If appling pesticides, read the labels of your products, some recommend long sleeve shirts & pants. I know a guy that was fined because he had a short sleeved shirt on. <p>Kenr
Old 01-17-2000, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Good point Kenr.
Old 01-17-2000, 08:11 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

There is a crew that works in our area that wears dark burgandy coveralls even when it's 100 degrees out. What keeps them from passing out, I'll never know. They sure look good all dressed alike, but their work is horrible. I feel that a sign on your truck for a future customer to get your phone number would be the first important thing. If someone sees you out mowing, trimming, ect. they won't see your name and phone number on your shirt or hat. I feel the best advertisement you can have is your truck in front of a nice looking lawn.<p>I guess we do everything wrong, but we turn down work every week in the summer. We wear clean clothes every day, but nobody matches. My beard doesn't even match my helpers beard. I won't put a sign on my truck, because I don't want the paint messed up and I don't need more work. We don't even have a published phone number. Word of mouth is the best advertising out there and I feel a good looking lawn is the best thing to draw more customers. Several customers have told us, &quot;You wouldn't believe how many people stop and ask us, who does your lawn&quot;. We could be a lot bigger company, but I don't want the headaches of being bigger. I'm too old for that. BTW, there is nothing wrong with a neat shirt with your logo, but the moral of the story is, do the best job you can and the work will come your way. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-17-2000, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks eric,<br> for some of you who might not know and read eric'c post, you can use magnetic signs on your truck. this way you can put them on and when you don't want them on your truck you can take them off.<br>wade
Old 01-17-2000, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

When considering appropriate clothing, I suggest keeping UV protection in mind. I work in central Alabama, where heat and humidity are extreme, but I still wear long pants, a broad-brimmed hat, UV-protective shades, and I'll switch to long-sleeved tees this year. I've already had three skin cancer surgerys (my first before age 40), and they ain't no fun. The rapidly increasing reports of skin cancer cases is really scary. Check it out. And don't forget the sun screen.
Old 01-17-2000, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the magnetic signs for my 88 gmc pickup, whenever I put them on it causes the paint to blister into little small bumps. They disappear into very tiny bumps after being remover for a couple of days. I think it is because it draws moisture behind the sign. Something to think about on a new truck.