Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2002, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

priceing

hi am new to lawn care i got everthing i need to do the jobs now but the one thing that i need to no is priceing how much do you price a yard of mulch put down and cutting shrubs big and small and fertilizers how do you price it to, i ask some of the lawn care guy around here and they will not tell you all i hear it up to you am not out to make killing just a liveing thanks . barney5203
Old 01-04-2002, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

This isn't a cut and dry answer like you think it should be.

Your pricing should be based on your company. Many factors are involved. What is your individual overheard? WHat kind of market are you in?

You need to sit down and figure out what your costs are for doing each job that you mentioned. Then how much do you want to make per hour? These questions can only be answered by you.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This being your first year it will be a learning exp.Don't overbid and don't lowball acoounts to get them.You might want to use the search feature at Lawnsite.There is so many variables on setting your pricing etc.Not many guys here offer advice on pricing(actual dollar amonunts)it's such a cat and mouse game sometimes.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Pricing

The way i do pricing sometimes is if you look at the job and if it dosen't take no more than an hr or 2 i would base the charge on what the pay to cut the lawn and tell the cust this is you hr charge. ex 35 to cut lawn 35 an hr to lay mulch or trim hedges plus the price of mulch and a little xtra for the effort but if there aren't many hedges ill charge 3 or 4 a hedge. its up to you and what cust are willing to pay.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best way to learn the Biz is to work for another Lco for a season.Then decide if this is what you want to do.Learning while getting paid is always a good thing.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Atlantic brought up a good point,work for another company and see how things run and make sure you want to do this.I've worked seven years at diff places and they both ran night and day(one is a state job).Today I still work a full time landscaping job(I need good health ins and paid holidays etc).