The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Should i help?
Help 2 7.41%
Don't help 25 92.59%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2002, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I got stab in the back by a relative once in this biz he didn't las long i guess ill buy the 5 x 10 trailer and the walkbehind he has and if he wants it back comes spring he can buy it back if he dosent want to do it that way. i feel sorry but there always room at the shelter i guess since its cold down here now i was feeling sorry but im woke now i guess hes sol
Old 01-04-2002, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

You have probably already answered your own question. Do you really need help, especially during this time of the year? and is he really that good of a friend to you to make you care?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Screw him!
Old 01-05-2002, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree that this guys financial problems are not yours !
I personally wouldn't/couldn't hire him this time of year.
If your good samaritan conscience is telling you to help him out there is ample room here for educating this guy....much like what is done here. Just remember that he is and will be your competition.
I believe we all need a friend in this business.....a mentor really.
Probably most people here started out pretty much in the dark about most aspects of this business. And because we did we want everyone else to do so ????
Yes, we all have to "pay our dues". But how high should that price be ?
Old 01-05-2002, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

if you feel like you should help the guy and he is kinda down, open your wallet and flip him a hundered.

otherwise you will be disappointed when you expect him to remember you after you did him the favor of letting him work for you.

GEO
Old 01-05-2002, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread reminds me of a guy who used to mow in my area. Before he lost his license to a dewee, he would drive a beat up pickup truck with his helper crammed in the cab of his truck and his chow would be sitting in the window seat with his head out the window. When he lost his license he was reduced to one neighborhood and would strap everything on his push mower and would walk from yard to yard with his chow in tow. Funny thing is, his quality of work was fantastic. Edged,trimmed, bagged, etc... Then he got in trouble and was time for him to take a vacation in the big house. I picked up a few of his accts but his customers called me so its not like I was a vulture. Ran into this guy last spring and he asked me for a job. He was down on his luck, his chow had the mange. Told him I didn't need any help (which was true) but slipped $50. Considered this his commission for his accts I got.

LAWNS AND MOWER