Register free!

Old 01-05-2002, 10:50 PM

Design software

Does anybody use one of the software packages where you can import a picture of the property and then lay out plants and features around it? If so, what do you use, how do you like it and what was the approximate cost? I just bought a laptop and the plan is to take it to a site, take pics with the digital camera and work up the proposal right on the dining room table. I'm thinking it would allow a lot of "what if" to be settled right then and there. Does anybody do that?
Old 01-06-2002, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Sure, Alan I ordered mine online at www.nothingbutsoftware.com
but let me suggest that you don't do it at the cust house big mistake i know from xperience take a pic of the yard and give'm a couple of suggestions of what it could look like or if they want a price or give you a price charge'm for it. Tell'em if you get the job it will be applied towards the cost cut down on the price shoppers aslo will tell them you are serious about ur busines. i had a cust call me and ask what i would do for a particular job gave a proposal and everything i come around the next day he and friends are doing the job. but anyway it takes time to find the particular flowers you may want add up cost etc. even if you don't do it you'll get something for your time.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the photo back to the office and do the work. Often you have to remove objects (overgrown shrubs) from the picture before you can do the new look that you have in mind. This and doing the details to make a really nice picture, with shadows and proper perspective all take time. I think it is better for the clients to see the finished picture and then have you make a few changes as needed. Of course you have to gather plenty of information from them during that initial meeting so that you are on target with your design solutions. Also, I don't really want people to think of having me doing custom designs in their home as a cheap form of entertainment. They should be paying for this type of designwork.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I take the photos back to the office as well. Then I either provide them with a completed plan printed off or I envite them into the office to view the desgin. Of course I have a store so when I invite the customer in to look at the plan there is always that potential of an "oh while I am here"......... purchase.

If I was at someones house doing the plan I think they would be more apt to change the idea that I was creating. I feel like sometimes a masterpiece of a plan is beat to nothing by a customer just trying to save a buck. If you present a print out with prices to them and say here is what we can do, 9 out of 10 get out the check book.

I use PRO LANDSCAPE DESIGN by the way.