Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2001, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

A question about Daconil

We have been having a discussion around the local mower parts house and can't find a good answer.
Why was daconil banned from residential use?
Any help would be appriciated.
Shawn
Old 12-19-2001, 09:20 PM
Banned

:alien:
Old 12-19-2001, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

.Daconil causes CANCER

Daconil lost its turf label still good on shrubs. The maintain reason it is on its way out is because it causes cancer big time. Hope all you unlicensed guy read this post. Pesticides are poison. You got to know your onions or pay the piper

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-21-2001, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Still using it here at the golf course. I hope casual contact doesn't give you cancer.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,
Thanks for the response. I do have my pesticide license, but if i was told about daconil i have forgotten why it was "banned". Thanks again.
Shawn
Old 12-22-2001, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OSC

Wear your PPE. Remember " Theshold Limit Value" it is on every label by law. Read and under stand the label and the MSDS. Yes I am sorry to tell you Casual Contact can and will cause Cancer. That is what Threshold limit value is about. Spray safe live long.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 12-22-2001, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We still use Daconil,on the golf course,its an excellent contact fungicide.As for Caner causing,can you be more specifc? I use all the PPE+wear a tyvelk suit on top of it.Id think the regualr golfer would have cancer by now,since they walk on,and play the greens not long after they are sprayed.It does have a warning label,so its toxicity is much higher than those with cauiton labels.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiMartino
It does have a warning label,so its toxicity is much higher than those with cauiton labels.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Daconil Causes Cancer? Says Who?

Can we substantiate the claim that chlorothalanil is a proven carcinogen? Where?
Most contact fungicides will lose their labels soon. For political reasons, not scientific or medical reasons. Since something like 90+% of all fungicides for turf & ornamental use get sprayed on golf courses, there isn't much point in attempting to pay for the toxoicological testing requirements mandated by the post-Clinton-era EPA.
It is therefor cheaper to drop residential use from the label. It's the money. Not the science.

Steve
Old 01-02-2002, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

World Health Organization

There doesn't appear to be any documented cases of HUMAN carconogenic relationship. Only Rats, which have to consume rediculous quantities to exhibit symptoms. If I'm wrong, I guess skin cancer is my fate!
Seriously, PPE is allways the way to go!
___Steve_______________________________________

No. 183: Chlorothalonil

1996, 145 pages [E, with summaries in F, S] ISBN 92 4 157183 7 Sw.fr. 35.-/US $31.50; in developing countries: Sw.fr. 24.50 Order no. 1160183

Evaluates the risks to human health and the environment posed by exposure to chlorothalonil, a fungicide widely used in agriculture to protect pome and stone fruit, citrus, currants, berries, bananas, tomatoes, green vegetables, coffee, peanuts, potatoes, onions, and cereals.
Chlorothalonil, which has a broad spectrum of activity, is also used on turf, lawns, and ornamental plants, and in wood preservatives and anti-fouling paints. Particular attention is given to crop residue studies.

The most extensive section evaluates the results of toxicity studies conducted in laboratory mammals and in vitro test systems. Studies show that chlorothalonil has low acute oral and dermal toxicity; the main effects of repeated oral dosing are on the stomach and kidney. The evaluation gives particular attention to several feeding studies which demonstrated a rapid onset of toxic effects on the forestomach and kidney, and a rapid induction of forestomach and renal tumours in rodents, but not in other species, including the dog. Most studies failed to demonstrate mutagenicity; the limited data available indicate that the compound is not teratogenic and shows no reproductive toxicity.

Data on effects on human health are confined to case reports of contact dermatitis following occupational or accidental exposure. In interpreting the relevance of experimental findings to human health, particularly the evidence of carcinogenic potential in rodent models, the report notes important species differences in metabolic pathways and postulates that chlorothalonil probably exerts its carcinogenic effects in rodents via a non-genotoxic mechanism. Concerning effects on other organisms in the laboratory and field, the report cites evidence that chlorothalonil is highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates in laboratory studies, but is not phytotoxic and should not pose a risk to wild mammals.