Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Fungicide for Red Thread?

I just wanted to pick your brains about what fungicide you guys have found best for red thread. I'm not licensed, so I'm limited to what I can get at Lesco. I've had it the last two Springs and I want to get my plan of attack ready for next year. I've sent my soil samples off to Penn State and hopefully they can give me some direction as to what is off (NPK). I tried Scotts Lawn Fungus Control.......didn't work. Immunox.......didn't work. Any ideas would be helpful. THANKS. (Is there anything out there that you can put in an Ortho sprayer and hook up to your hose????)
Old 06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best cure is good ol' nitrogen!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I needed some help fast so I went to Agway and bought a bag of Urea. I put down 10.4lbs for 7000 sgft. I lucked out and we had a good snap of cool weather and two solid rains. It definetly greened it up. This red thread has been a nightmare for me. My neighbors keep asking me what is wrong with my yard. I'm tired of explaining. (I'm sure I'll hear it about the Urea from someone)
Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not going to give you hell and brimstone about the urea. I use lots of urea on lawns, however it is always combined with potassium nitrate. Given the heat and constant humidity in my locale, it is a rare event that one of my lawns has dollar spot, brown patch or decline. Even though I am feeding up t1 lb of N per month. Potassium from the right source tends to reduce disease by hardening up the leaves roots and stems. Adequate nitrogen eliminates a pathogen's favorite target, weak, slow growing grass.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pat on the back. I'm trying. Potassium Nitrate? Sorry, I'm a novice at this. Is this something I can put in a spreader?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

red thread

I hate red thread. Is there any chance you could kill it and switch to a more disease resistant type of grass. Say Kentucky bluegrass sod. Or at least a top-quality perennial ryegrass. Something like "Amazing", "Derby Xtreme" or "Palmer IV". The older cheaper ryegrass get red thread BAAD!

If not then a high nitrogen slow-release fertility program, is the next best thing. Every month, (until the weather comes down below 80). Look for the highest percent of slow-release you can find. You may have to mow twice per week, but the grass will be green, and thick--really green.

Also try to switch to watering more minutes, but only twice per week to reduce the average humidity. Avoid night watering. Try between 1 and 5 pm.

My favorite fungicide for Red Thread is "Compass", but if not available--I suggest try Immunox again as a liquid--use the high rate--the "curative" rate.
That is my opinion. Different people have different ideas.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I'd like to try and cure the disease before I bring in the Bobcats. I planted the yard myself in 2001 and had five years of perfect grass. The disease was mild in 2007 and this year it went bonkers. Do you think I am wasting my time with Scotts products? If this disease is due to low nitrogen, perhaps there isn't enough in the Scotts. I put down Turfbuilder in the late March and Turfbuilder Plus 2 weed control in mid May. The disease showed up in the beginning of May. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

lesco sells eagle fungicide
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

red thread

Eagle is myclobutanil.
Immunox is the same thing.

Use the fungicide in the liquid form at the highest rate allowed on the label. Remember that over a period of time the fungus may become resistant to it. Rotate fungicides. Rotate to a different type.

Scotts fertillizer is Ok. But you need more for a red thread program--use it more often. It would be better if you used a fertilizer of higher quality--more slow release nitrogen.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when your neibor isn't home drag you feet thru your lawn where the patches are, then go walk thru his lawn.