Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Dallisgrass

Fighting a losing battle with dallisgrass i msma it 3 times. The plant appears dead but then it starts to grow around the edges of what appears to be a dead plant. Is there something i can spray once and be done with this demon besides round up. Grass is bermuda and yes i am licensed and insured thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=jac82;2387375] Is there something i can spray once and be done with this demon besides round up.

NO. All you can do is be sure you communicate and work with your customer closely on this weed. They have to water and mow while you're spraying the series of apps or it won't die. This is a must!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

sencor + msma will often get it in two apllications, sometimes three. Space them 7-10 days apart.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizine View Post
sencor + msma will often get it in two apllications, sometimes three. Space them 7-10 days apart.
I do the same. It can be touchy with rates and temps, but adding the sencor definitely helps...and smokes many other grassy weeds in one shot. Remember, use the sencor in bermudas only.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Revolver. Three apps, seven days apart.

Maybe a fourth time a couple of weeks after the last app.

You could even get down with some glyphosate and a paint brush (small one) and do some touch up work on it.

Dallisgrass is the worst of the worst.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Revolver. Three apps, seven days apart.

Maybe a fourth time a couple of weeks after the last app.

You could even get down with some glyphosate and a paint brush (small one) and do some touch up work on it.

Dallisgrass is the worst of the worst.
You are killing DG with Revolver by itself? If so...interesting!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies i will try adding the sencor to my msma i cut and water the property .i have been cutting the property for 4 years now and this is the first year of weed control so lots of bare spots but the bermuda is closing in fast hopefully my battle wont be this hard next year. the dallis and sedges is my only problem poor drainage but i will be spraying sedgehammer tomorrow. thanks again
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
You are killing DG with Revolver by itself? If so...interesting!!!
Yes. About .7 ounces per gallon spot spraying.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Yes. About .7 ounces per gallon spot spraying.
I found information on a study done comparing combinations MSMA/Sencor and MSMA/Revolver a couple of years ago. The results showed about the same results between the 2 combos with respect to DG, however the MSMA /Sencor combo killed a broader spectrum of weeds (Grassy and Broadleaf.) Also, Sencor was much cheaper than Revolver. Downside...Sencor will not kill DG by itself. I will remember the Revolver when they take MSMA away from us. I also will have to try this on my own lawn to see the results. Thanks Brashears.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Try certainty/MSMA it will smoke it quick. Test it on the bermuda 1st to get your rates right. It will discolor turf if you spray too heavy. About 80% of our properties are bermuda. It works like a charm. We've been using it for about a year after a tip from a member on this site who is no longer in the business. You'll be amazed at the sedge, fescue, crabgrass, and dallisgrass control. We had tryed revolver w/ msma which also worked, but found that the measurement with the certainty was much easier since you don't have to deal with the "gunk" of revolver. Do anyone else think the smell of revolver reminds them of moth balls?

Good Luck