Register free!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this worth it?

Well my buddy is selling a Perma Green Ride on Ultra spreader, He doesnt know much about the machine because his "buddy" owes him money and he took this to try and sell. The one thing he did say that it needs is a motor, and it comes with it, it is a 5.5hp Briggs. Is there anything else i should look out for, because i would like to use it on some of the bigger properties that i fertilize and to do some minimal spraying. What kinds of this should i look for when i go and look at it. He said the motor starts up, but he doesnt know how to drive it. Now how do you really drive them? I really dont know too much about them and i would like to get some input on them before i get into it. Here are some pictures of it, and he is trying to get rid of it for 500 bucks for everything.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Offer him 200.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is what the new motor looks like what is on it now. And the new one, do you think this will fit it?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks really rough!! you could easily put another $1000. in the PG before you get it ready to go! transaxel may need replaced and its about $800. pump angenerater another $250. thats if you do the work yourself!
but they are very nice to have if your doing many acounts!!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Ultra by far was the biggest mistake Permagreen ever made, and I say that after running one for almost three years, they basically took every step forward they ever made and then released the ultra and with that everything went off the cliff, The cowboy was ok nice hopper, bad brakes and ok sprayer but overall good machine, the Centri excellent machine and the Magnum even better, the new Machine will be released very soon and is really unbelieveable, they finally got everything right, Ok back to the ultra, if you get it put the new engine on bypass the battery and spray it down with wd-40 everyday and it'll beat walking.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

get a tow behind spreader.cheaper and takes up less room and easier to store when your not using it.unless you want another toy.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's not a bad idea, the only downside is if he uses it for the big properties as he stated, he still has to walk the spray work, so the time efficiency goes back down again.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so this is a big waste of my time, i have about 120 accounts that i cut and 3 other guys so i dont really have the time to work on the machine and i was looking at this just for another toy too fool around with to make things faster. Would a Synergy spray and a regular lesco walk behind be any good? I just priced one out with everything brand new for 900 bucks. Not too sure that price is any good. Im also looking in thr used department but cant dine much. Anyone out there that is looking to sell?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a heads up, if buying new from permagreen direct you will usually pay on average 4-7% more for equipment, now parts on the other hand you will pay less direct. A custom magnum with the brinley setup through Lesco is 6399.00 the same machine if you buy it direct from pg is closer to 6799.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a synergy in a lesco spreader that just sits. PM me I might be willing to part with it for less then I paid whis is much less than 900. Synergy was used 2x and the spreader for about a season before the sprayer was put into it.

I would not buy another ultra. We have 3 and I just put about 800 into each just to try to make it thru the season.