Register free!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jap Beetles

Looking for beetle control on my roses and came across Neem Oil...does it work? I cannot stand the way my roses look after they attack them but at the same time I don't want to kill all the beneficial insects like lady bugs and bees. If it comes down to removal of the roses thats what I will do.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got a product in just the other day and is basically neem oil. I haven't had a chance to get it in a sprayer and applied but I plan on doing that this week. I have talked with some other people involved in some research who said a product should be out next year I believe.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Looking for beetle control on my roses and came across Neem Oil...does it work? I cannot stand the way my roses look after they attack them but at the same time I don't want to kill all the beneficial insects like lady bugs and bees. If it comes down to removal of the roses thats what I will do.
Neem (Triact 70) I do use....But not on roses as it will injure the Flowers.

Stick with a good rotation of Conserve, Merit, Orthene for the roses.

Neem Oil WILL also kill benificials if it contacts them. If it does not contact them, it acts as an Repellent as well as an anti-Feedant.

The Neem tree is High in Terpanoids.

Roses need a spray program......Stick with "Pesticides" that won't hurt the roses.

Or remove them.

What a shame.

I like Roses.

Pete
Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My aunt said seven seems to work well for her. She said she didn't treat them last year because they stayed away and they were back this year. Said if she treated again this year they it should be good to go the next year. She said to do it foliar and down on the ground as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
My aunt said seven seems to work well for her. She said she didn't treat them last year because they stayed away and they were back this year. Said if she treated again this year they it should be good to go the next year. She said to do it foliar and down on the ground as well.
Seven does work...but it kills bumble bees and honey bees...I will get rid of the roses before I start killing everything...I will plant more lantana instead!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
Neem (Triact 70) I do use....But not on roses as it will injure the Flowers.

Stick with a good rotation of Conserve, Merit, Orthene for the roses.

Neem Oil WILL also kill benificials if it contacts them. If it does not contact them, it acts as an Repellent as well as an anti-Feedant.

The Neem tree is High in Terpanoids.

Roses need a spray program......Stick with "Pesticides" that won't hurt the roses.

Or remove them.

What a shame.

I like Roses.

Pete

The neem oil seems like the ticket...spray in the evening when the bees are safe in their homes. I dont want to sound like a tree hugger, but damn I hate killing the good stuff...we needs bees!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
just watch application if its going to be hot might fry them..
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That was my concern as well, I had a feeling it would take out everything. The "study" that I read on neem oil said it didn't effect the good guys as they didn't eat the plants. Also, it didn't effect the plant as long as it was applied correctly. The lady said she made a second treatment one time too soon and noticed some wilting. She had used a product rather than straight neem oil so that is what I got. $10 for a little "cup" of the stuff but it is suppose to make about 5 gal. so I guess the numbers will work out. If it does work, and this other stuff doesn't come out on schedule I am seeing money next year.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
I got a product in just the other day and is basically neem oil. I haven't had a chance to get it in a sprayer and applied but I plan on doing that this week. I have talked with some other people involved in some research who said a product should be out next year I believe.
Any info on this new product that you can share?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

sorry, I have been sworn to secracy