Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
sorry, I have been sworn to secracy
Not even a tidbit of information for a fellow Georgian...a neighbor...a friend...you know, the type of person who would give you the shirt off his back!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The names are a lot of big hard to pronounce words...

LOL, I promise if I could I would. I don't want to put anything between me and this other person. They are a huge help and source of information. As soon as I get word that the product is out I will try to remember to let you know.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
The names are a lot of big hard to pronounce words...

LOL, I promise if I could I would. I don't want to put anything between me and this other person. They are a huge help and source of information. As soon as I get word that the product is out I will try to remember to let you know.
Sounds good...let me know...I am sick of these little rascals and maybe I will wait to remove my roses until next year.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you mean. Mine got hit last year, this year they looked GREAT, they got hit again but they still look OK. They are a lot bigger and stronger but I still need to do something. I am also going to put out traps strategically around my property away from my roses. Everyone says you attract more than you catch so I am hoping if the traps are far enough away from the bushes they will just go to the traps.

If I can find them cheap enough I thought I might add that as a bonus for my customers. Throw one or two around their property. I saw one customer who had a trap hanging on their fence, no bushes for them to chew on in the back yard at all and it was half full.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The thing is...even if they attract that is one less beetle that will be making grubs in my lawn. I also heard it was a myth that they attract more but not sure about it.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Theres a new rose called Knockout, its supposed to be deaease and bug resistant.

Ive never herd of Neem oil. I really dont think you can grow hybrid roses in the South unless you use a whole lot of chemicals.

I once had a rose garden or over 50 roses. It was late fall and frost was to come in a couple of weeks. After nursing the roses all summer, many chemicals,pruning etc. they were in full bloom. I was on my way to work and looked at them and it looked like the cover of one of those fancy garden magazines. Well when I got home from work not one single bloom left, not even a bud, the dear ate every single flower, I was really poed, because it I knew they would not bloom again that year.

the nest year i replace the roses its now a Topiary garden. It give a better year round look anyway.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Always go with a systemic. Lesco carries a new product called CoreTect, made by Bayer. It is imidicloprid, but it contains many micronutrients, as well, and longer lasting for the feeding. It works out to about 50 cents a dose. There are homeowner products such as Bayer's rose care, which is a liquid form of imidicloprid available at HD and other stores. It is rather cheap to use, and is fully effective. I do NOT recommend sevin for roses, for a regular treatment. It doesn't last, and was stated before, does harm to many beneficials - let alone opens the door for mites.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Theres a new rose called Knockout, its supposed to be deaease and bug resistant.

Ive never herd of Neem oil. I really dont think you can grow hybrid roses in the South unless you use a whole lot of chemicals.

I once had a rose garden or over 50 roses. It was late fall and frost was to come in a couple of weeks. After nursing the roses all summer, many chemicals,pruning etc. they were in full bloom. I was on my way to work and looked at them and it looked like the cover of one of those fancy garden magazines. Well when I got home from work not one single bloom left, not even a bud, the dear ate every single flower, I was really poed, because it I knew they would not bloom again that year.

the nest year i replace the roses its now a Topiary garden. It give a better year round look anyway.

Thats funny you mention that about the knock outs...they have had very little beetles on them. I may just replace the other roses with knockouts.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Always go with a systemic. Lesco carries a new product called CoreTect, made by Bayer. It is imidicloprid, but it contains many micronutrients, as well, and longer lasting for the feeding. It works out to about 50 cents a dose. There are homeowner products such as Bayer's rose care, which is a liquid form of imidicloprid available at HD and other stores. It is rather cheap to use, and is fully effective. I do NOT recommend sevin for roses, for a regular treatment. It doesn't last, and was stated before, does harm to many beneficials - let alone opens the door for mites.
I think I will try this Runner, thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All I have are knockouts, but so does everyone else in the nieghborhood. They have been great, started out slow but the year after I planted them they have taken off. I pruned them back pretty hard earlier this year, thought I was too late, already had blooms, but they have come back and look even better. They have gotten to be about 4' by 4'. Over taking the bed I put them in so I am having to keep them cut back. I have had no problems with diseases but the beetles are still a major pain.

It makes since that the traps would attract more beetles. They use a pherenome(spelling ?) that attracts them. I agree though that it still makes a difference. I am sure I would have bags and bags of the guys if I put them out. I am going to try and pick some up tomorrow.