Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Leaf Spot

I have a customer that seeded part of his front lawn this spring and it was a Ryegrass lawn, but I had him overseed it with TTTF.

I just fert and sprayed it last week and it looked pretty good.

The customer then called me today and was very upset and stated his lawn was dying.

When I get there I see a brown lawn with green grass in spots.

Come to find out the green grass was the new TTTF and the brown grass was the PR.

I freaked out at first as I thought maybe I mixed up my 3 Way too hot or something...but the neighbors lawn that I did with the same tank looked awesome!

Anyway...looking at the Rye I found brown lesions and the grass is hurt bad. Called my Lesco man and he stated it was leaf spot.

I called my customer and asked him about his watering schedule and he said he was watering about everyother night (guess he doesn't read my newsletters about how to water a lawn ).

Anyway...will the lawn come out of this? I mean it doesn't look good right now!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

leaf spot, gray

Sounds like gray leaf spot--a growing problem on Perennial rye.
http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...tof%20Turf.htm

It is not the leaf spot caused by helminthosporium which (is not found on ryegrass) but attacks Kentucky bluegrass, (name now changed to Dreckslera or something like that).
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Riggle!

Do you think the lawn will make it?

Should I use a fungicide or just sit back and watch?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I have a customer that seeded part of his front lawn this spring and it was a Ryegrass lawn, but I had him overseed it with TTTF.

I just fert and sprayed it last week and it looked pretty good.

The customer then called me today and was very upset and stated his lawn was dying.

When I get there I see a brown lawn with green grass in spots.

Come to find out the green grass was the new TTTF and the brown grass was the PR.

I freaked out at first as I thought maybe I mixed up my 3 Way too hot or something...but the neighbors lawn that I did with the same tank looked awesome!

Anyway...looking at the Rye I found brown lesions and the grass is hurt bad. Called my Lesco man and he stated it was leaf spot.

I called my customer and asked him about his watering schedule and he said he was watering about everyother night (guess he doesn't read my newsletters about how to water a lawn ).

Anyway...will the lawn come out of this? I mean it doesn't look good right now!

Actually sounds like Pythium (damping off) where it is Brown and all dead. Happens on the late seeding when nighttime temps above 65F.

Double Check it because it will need a special Fungicide like Subdue.

Pete
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
Actually sounds like Pythium (damping off) where it is Brown and all dead. Happens on the late seeding when nighttime temps above 65F.

Double Check it because it will need a special Fungicide like Subdue.

Pete
Pete,

The seedlings are very healthy....as it is only the established PR that is being affectected. The new TTTF seedlings are the only healthy grass in the front lawn.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK Rcreech

The Leaf Spot is really severe here on Older PR Cultivars this year.

Pete
Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I struggle with leaf spot in my roughs. I have never applied a curative fungicide application and as of yet (knocking on wood) have never lost any grass because of it.

I do feel that there is some connection between the application of herbicides and the onset of Leaf spot. Unfortunately, I am not just exactly sure what it is.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Triazine herbicides can increase the incidence of leaf spot on st augustine. I have observed an overall increase in disease in bermuda and seashore paspalum treated with broadleaf herbicides. This of course, is aggravated by turf maintained on less than 1/2 lb N and K per month of growing season. Choice is simple for me, starve the lawn in the name of being politically correct and have to apply more politically incorrect fungicides or feed the lawn, keep it vigorous minimizing the need to apply anything with an EPA reg number.