Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2000, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of some people using weed eaters to do the edging around sidewalks and drives. I have also heard the same about edgers. What I was wondering which one do you like better? Which one does a better job? I'm just starting out so I'm kinda on a budget. I can afford an edger but if most people feel I don't need one than I'm sure I could find something else to spend that money on. Also has anyone had any experiance with a Stihl edger? Thanks
Old 01-18-2000, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need an edger. You can edge with a string trimmer with an edgit* attachment, but they're kinda clumsy (my opinion) We bought a few in 1997 but took them off. You can also edge with a trimmer after the edge has been established. This actually leaves a much cleaner anb sharper edge, but takes a certain skill and is pretty slow.<p>You need an steel-blade edger. Perhaps consider getting a split-boom to save on budget. You can't go wrong with Stihl, though, they make really good products.
Old 01-18-2000, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer what is this split broom you are talking about?
Old 01-18-2000, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There's some talk down farther on this board that's worth looking at, but...<p>A lot of companies are building trimmers with a coupling in the middle allowing for other attchments to be used. Some options include: edger, hedge trimmer, broom, cultivator, pruning saw, etc.<p>I like 'em.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I just purchased one by Troybuilt and the trimmer was about $275 and they have atatchments for edging, pruning and cleanup. The engine is IMO a little underpowered for the edger but it does the trick. Im really thinking of taking it back because now that iv used it if i keep it trimmed i really shouldnt need it anymore.

so really just rent one.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought this is the PAS system in Echo, Kombi tool in Stihl and everyone else have something like this!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Holy Thread Revival Batman! I'd take that POS back anyway as for $275 you could get either an Echo PAS-230 which already is a superior powerhead for a superior system or even better a PAS-260 for $300. Stihl's Km90R os also a good powerhead for that price
Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I do. I have a McClain walk behind edger. I use that if they grass is overgrown onto the sidewalks. Its just near impossible to get a good sharp edge when the grass is overgrown and you use string, plus you just tear up the string and not get anywheres but gettin good at loading string. Anyways, I suggest, you get yourself a good walk beind edger just for establishing an edge. I suggest a commercial McClain. Then pratice with using the weed eater to do the edging cause it does take a lil while to get a good edge with it and be able to do it in a timly fashion. Using the weed eater is much faster cause thats one less piece of equipment that you have to spend time starting and going back to the trailer/truck. You can go from trimming to edging and then to mowing. And i think it looks better. Some people argue that using the string only damages the yard, but thats ALL I use to edge. To make a long story short, you need to get both, bottom line.
2012 Wright 32"
2011 Toro 32" wb Floating Deck w/ Kawi
2007 21" Snapper Hi-Vac w/ Kawi
2007 21" Heavy Duty Toro w/ Kawi
McLane Commerical Walk Behind Edger
Stihl FS 110R String Trimmer
Stihl FS110r String Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Stick Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HL 100K (135º)Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HS81T Hedge Trimmer

Old 05-06-2008, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Holy Thread Revival Batman! I'd take that POS back anyway as for $275 you could get either an Echo PAS-230 which already is a superior powerhead for a superior system or even better a PAS-260 for $300. Stihl's Km90R os also a good powerhead for that price
You didn't know all these??!!! Get the bigger engine!!! Just want to make sure you know that only Husqvarna and Shindaiwa have the short reach articulate hedge clipper attachment. Only Echo have dethatcher attachment. Find out more info before you rush out to buy one. I myself want a short reach hedge clipper more than anything else. They are not cheap but I would go with the commercial stuff rather than Troy Bilt.

I believe Husqvarna power head come standard with trimmer attachment. I don't think the others comes with it, you have to buy it.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please do not use a string trimmer to edge your beds. That is something that a jr. scaper would do. In the area we work it is totally unacceptable to edge with a string trimmer. It makes too big of a edge and opens the edge up for weeds to grow. It is dangerous to the operator and has the potential to leek gas onto your turf. String trimmers were not meant to be ran upside down. When I am walking a property inspection I can tell if my guys are edging with a string trimmer and I have to reprimand them tell them to stop being lazy and do the job right.