Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting a new lan service, what to look for.

I am starting a new lawn service for the 09 season. I have started looking at used ZTurn mowers, what are somethings I need to look for? Hours/Brand/Options any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are the lawns that you are going to be doing big? How many leaves do you get in the fall? ZTRs are great for large lawns and picking up lots of leaves in the fall (at least when they have a collection system). You are being smart by looking for a used one but why not look for a new or used walk behind. This will help you keep your initial costs down until you can build up your business. There are several good brands like Exmark, Toro, Scag, Bob-Cat, Deere, etc. but what it really comes down to is the dealers in your area. Buy a machine that has a dealer near by, not one that is 2 hours away and make sure it is a good dealer too. Kohlers and Kawi's usually last a little longer than the briggs do on commercial mowers (not saying briggs is a bad brand). If I were you I would look for something that has 2000 or less hours on it. Also when looking make sure the machine was well maintained, if it wasn't then you could run into major problems down the road and quickly too. Options are all about what you like and what you want to do. If you want to mulch get the mulch kit but these options are just preference. Any other questions feel free to ask. Good Luck!
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds